Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: First snake bite death in 25 years!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Be careful out there guys and gals.
I always thought we had it worse out here in the West but I'm not so sure the openness and sparse vegetation doesn't work to our advantage when dealing with the bad creatures. Not only are they exposed before you get to them but they tend to concentrate in areas where you can more effectively look out for them.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national...-1.2298037
They still keep me aware although I've never seen one. But they say they're not this far North in Ohio. Or extremely rare. In 13 years of hunting and fishing in PA I never saw one either. They are there. Probably see you but you can't see them. Makes me real nervous tromping around the leaf strewn and bushy woods though. Like that poor fella in PA, they get you before you even know it. That's my biggest fear. Oops, too late now. Thanks for posting!!!! Now I'm wondering if a set of snake gators isn't such a bad idea!!!
ODF , I'm curious do you ever carry a 22 pistol or anything when you're in the woods ?
(07-21-2015 05:48 PM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]ODF , I'm curious do you ever carry a 22 pistol or anything when you're in the woods ?

No Kajun. I don't have what we call here a CCW permit. And we can't carry open without one heck of a lot of hassle from the badges. Too many nervous people out there. Even with a CCW it would be difficult or impossible to get permission from the Cleveland Metroparks to carry concealed anywhere on their property, woods or not.

ODF
I didn't realize the land you are hunting is part of the Park land. Ya probably better not to do that.
(07-22-2015 09:51 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]I didn't realize the land you are hunting is part of the Park land. Ya probably better not to do that.

Well Kajun, it's all parkland near me now. It used to be bottomland farms or areas where either the railroad, the electric companies or the national and state interstates spread throughout the county. Some of it is quite expansive and remote. I've found abandoned homeless shelters in the deep woods as well as old campfire rings and all such stuff related to overnight or weekly stays long ago. Between the shotgun headstamps, bullets, shell casings and the bridle rivets, with leather attached, I'm in the oldest country in the newest parts of the area. I mean I can see freeways, railroads, power lines or peoples backyards in housing developments some of the time. Not all, but sometimes. But some of the areas are very, very large. Miles square. I almost got lost in one of them on a cloudy day and some of the pines were almost 3 feet thick at the base and well over 100 feet above me, with ravine dropoffs well over 200 feet. In that and another specific park there are signs that tell you to stay on the trail if you are unfamiliar. That's old territory for here Kajun. That's where the stuff really is. But Nature has "always" been there. And snakes are part of the game. For me it's an adventure. BUT! Remember what the doormouse said, "Feed your head."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WANNqr-vcx0

It's about seeing time in the perspective of today.

ODF
Wow, that's a dam shame! Gone camping and pays a huge price. Horrible for sure.

I was detecting once in a NJ park around noon, A long black snake feel out of a tree and hit me in the head. We were both scared crap less! He slithered into a nearby drain and I got the heck out of there quick!
Almost stepped on this little guy today. A 30" long well fed green snake. I touched him with my coil and he scooted away.
Reference URL's