Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #46 1918S Patina Merc!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did take a couple days off because of the heat and work related complications and today I really didn't expect to find anything out of the ordinary because I have been through this very large section of woods a gazillion times and there is so much more territory to cover I just couldn't resist. But these woods have produced, so far this year, 22 silver coins. And today, 10 feet from a few rather large stones I never saw before, which could have been a campfire ring, up pops this very rotten looking 1918 S (S of all things) Mercury dime. I wish I would have taken a picture of it when I first found it. It was so dirty and crusty I thought it was a clad dime. A little scrub with my nylon brush and some water in the field and up she comes being a Merc. I cleaned it up a bit more at home and I cannot describe the color on the obverse with the staff and the S mark except that it's a brilliant steel gray. The color on the reverse with the date is about as close as I can get after taking about a dozen photos of it under different lighting conditions. It looks like it was in the campfire or under the leaves during a small forest fire. I'll never really know, but most silver I find doesn't come out looking like this! She was 4 inches down in clay soil that was hard as a rock under a thin layer of leaves.

And the usual fare when out in the woods, headstamps, a few old memorials, 3 -.45 slugs, 2-.22 bullets and one lonely 22 long casing.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!

ODF
Nice looking dime!! Congrats!
Yeah, I second that nice silver dime! Congratulations

Some silver coins that I found this year were pretty off color too, still yours is a beauty now
Hey that's a nice dime. I see what you mean about the color being off, but the detail is nice. Great dig.
(08-07-2015 09:10 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I did take a couple days off because of the heat and work related complications

ODF

"Work related complications" = My pain in the a$$ job doesn't give me enough detecting time!!! Tongue

Treasure hunting is about the only pursuit where someone could make 30 cents an hour and be THRILLED about it. It's in our blood, I guess Yes

You fought the ground, and Ed won. Beautiful mercury dime. Did you keep records last year? Curious as to the progress, as you're having a KILLER season Beer

Joe
(08-10-2015 01:19 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-07-2015 09:10 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]I did take a couple days off because of the heat and work related complications

ODF

"Work related complications" = My pain in the a$$ job doesn't give me enough detecting time!!! Tongue

Treasure hunting is about the only pursuit where someone could make 30 cents an hour and be THRILLED about it. It's in our blood, I guess Yes

You fought the ground, and Ed won. Beautiful mercury dime. Did you keep records last year? Curious as to the progress, as you're having a KILLER season Beer

Joe

Joe. I found # 46 last year on 10-31-14. So I'm ahead of my 2014 count by just under 3 months.
(08-10-2015 04:39 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-10-2015 01:19 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]

ODF

Joe

Joe. I found # 46 last year on 10-31-14. So I'm ahead of my 2014 count by just under 3 months.

Super, Ed! Well, don't slow down just yet, Ohio Hustler, prime time swinging season is about 4 weeks away here, and I'm gonna give you a run for your money! Hot (okay, maybe warm) on your heels!!! Chuckle

Joe
Very nice! Great job on the merc!
Reference URL's