Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Think about the time!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There were days back when where people were all over for work, for family, or just because they lost everything from a dustbowl, a dam being built, job being lost, war, or simply addictive dependence. There were no freeways, turnpikes, tollways. Just roads to somewhere. This music and the movie is on the top three of my favorites.

And my Yahoo IM handle is Rock Candy Mountain. Because there is one out there somewhere! Believe it!

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkWn69VB...D8FA076174
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjzcGOSl2a0
ODF, I see the light - I need to get down to the rivers and find some good targets
Love that movie! The Coen brothers have such a unique brand that they put on everything, there's really nothing else like it.

You're right, Ed, only roads. I truly think ANYWHERE has the potential to hold amazing stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a random patch of woods or old road with lots of grass near it, and say "There HAS to be stuff in there". To the layperson, they're just woods or a field, but you don't know WHAT they were years ago. Did people stop to picnic there? Piss there? Was it a possible make out spot? Was there ever a structure/house there? One wouldn't know without exhaustive research, so it pays to just throw the dice, walk in and try your luck.

I knew a guy on another forum years ago who did this. He HATED doing research, but was a real wanderer. He'd just investigate anywhere & everywhere that was wooded, no preconceived notions. And guess what???

He had a collection of coins and relics that would BLOW YOUR MIND! Seriously, fit for a museum.

As the great Yogi Berra once said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!"

Joe
One guy in the club did that exact thing when he first started detecting. Drove up on highway and parked near woods then walked in - he did well with plenty of keepers
Well, one thing I'd like to mention is the woods I hunt; I honestly don't think anyone has detected some of the spots. I mean for me, being somewhat of a newbie compared to some of you guys out there, you have no idea how many times I've pulled up a second or third silver in an area and said to myself, "Holy crap, nobody's been here!", because if they were, they would have easily found what I do. But there are some areas I go to that I can honestly say somebody missed these because I've been to those areas so many times with virtually nothing that I know they were detected heavily.

As far as research goes, well, I do, but it's not exhaustively extensive. Here's a tip for you guys out there. Compare the aerials of long ago that show woods with the Google Earth that shows the same woods still in existence. Then GO DO THOSE WOODS! Sometimes it's a bust as those woods are actually a swamp, or so overgrown you'd need a machete just to make a path. Most of the time they are walkable with a very uplifting sense of what Mother Nature really is. It has been a very enjoyable and rewarding experience for me and I wonder which draws me more, walking alone in the woods enjoying the peace and quiet or detecting!Chuckle

Yes And in this heat, take 3 bottles of water and a wet towel!!Yes

ODF
Ed, you are right about comparing on google earth...it does work

sometimes you can pick out an old road possibly wagon trail maybe some old steps to no where - but only a part of it

is available these days due to construction or new land owners putting up fenses.
Reference URL's