Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Another first
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm still finding goodies in the backyard and the T2 continues to impress me. I have found the key to hunting in iron as my other post today explains. My first dig today was a first find for me. I locked on to a nickel/pulltab signal. A little jumpy but a solid audio tone. Pinpoint said 4". I dug and there it was at 4". My first Buffalo Nickel. I can't tell if there is a date. It is very crusty as you can see. I also dug a 1947 wheat. I am very happy and this detector has found a permanent home.
Right on. Have heard nothing but good things about the t2. You can find a lot of good info on it at the dankowski forum...but its a little dificult to archive.
(08-24-2013 08:27 AM)49r Relics Wrote: [ -> ]Very nice Yes

You are really getting a handle on that machine now.  Happy

Just a tip on old nickels,if you decide to clean it, don't get it wet! Leave it dry and use a soft, brass bristle brush to get the dirt all off, then just use your fingers and thumbs to wipe it and polish it. It takes some work and time. 

This part sounds funny but it works, once you get it to start to polish a bit, wipe behind your ears to get some of your skin oils and continue to wipe those oils into the nickel. This method has worked great for me but I have tried every other type of oil and nothing else works.

If the nickel is really trashed I just use a dremel with a brass wheel brush to clean it and if then its worth it I will work on it as above.

Getting a dug nickel wet does something to the nickel that completely changes and darkens the surfaces and it will never look as good as it would if you leave it dry and brush it. Using anything besides a brass bristle brush will scratch the surface of the nickel.

Thanks for the info. I already got it wet though trying to clean it up a little. It actually was wet when I dug it. The ground was very moist. I do want to clean it up some more to see if there is a date. I can see some lettering on it but not the date.
Cool! I love digging buffs Yes Show us a pic after the clean-up...

Joe
Reference URL's