Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: GOLD & a BUTTON....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Sound just like a nickel to me!!!

Now I'm out in the boonies folks! I had to carry the SE Pro like a rifle over my head to get to this first spot because getting in was so overgrown and I was nimbly following what I could see of a deer trail. But I get there and the only areas worthwhile are the dried up bogs. Okay, I'm here, let's do it! About 45 minutes in, after digging three holes, out pops this button! Then I scour the area for no other finds. Not even a can folks!

I get fed up as I usually do and book back out to the truck. It's 4:30pm when I get there and I move to another area, the area I mentioned where I saw what looked like an old curving wagon road with the curving hillside and trees lining it. Total bust. Make my way back up to the plateau, now it's about 6:15pm and I gotta start moving in the direction of the truck. But I've been over that area a number of times and I decide to take a different kinda zig zag route, as I usually do when repeating an area. I run into a clad coin spill in another dried bog, all separately, 2 dimes, a nickel and 2 memorials. Continue on and between some fallen pines I get this nickel signal real, real strong holding a 10-06 digital with absolutely no variance, and target it. On the high setting of the Garrett Pro Pointer AT I target it before even digging. I'm thinking another big pull tab or maybe a nickel just below the surface. WRONG!

1st 14K gold I've found with the Minelab SE Pro, 8x6 SEF, @ 3 inches deep. Damp mud!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!!

ODF

A button made by The R&W Robinson Co in the 1840s for The Revenue Cutter Service (which later became. The Coast Guard)
Nice on the button and gold. Congrats!
Ed, good job on both finds. 

That button is a juicy piece of history! You know me, I love the buttons. 
That one is an absolute beauty!!
Nice digs ED - gotta love gold Yes
Great button! And congrats on the gold!
Holy crap-a-roni's!!! NICE GOLD, ED!!! Congrats on popping the cherry, but...

Not so sure this is a good thing, now you're gonna be forced to dig EVERY NICKEL SIGNAL!!!!! Chuckle Tongue

I believe that ring-a-ding needs to go up top Yes

P.S. - I woulda been happy with just the button, it's DAMN sweet!

Joe
(08-11-2015 09:02 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, good job on both finds. 

Thanks SLC! I only posted what I could find that was close to the button. Mine, in the insert of the stamping, is oval. All I could find online, in such short notice, was the nice one I posted, which has the round insert. I can't read much if any of the back. I don't know if this was an earlier one from the 1840's or later. I need some button books!

I did find a 1836 RW Robinson trade token snorkeling the river about 5 years ago. So I know that people were here and moving about during that time. And I forgot to mention that I did find a piece of what I think is a horseshoe earlier in. You know those Iron signals!! They can drive you nuts. I thought at first this was a piece of iron, actually. It was giving me all kinds of signals but very high tone, and was a real bear to target. First hole I dug was 12". Thankfully damp mud with a few easy roots. Took me two more tries to find it. If you can come up with more info on it I'd really appreciate that! It's real heavy too. Like solid brass.

ODF

(08-11-2015 09:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Holy crap-a-roni's!!! NICE GOLD, ED!!! Congrats on popping the cherry, but...

Not so sure this is a good thing, now you're gonna be forced to dig EVERY NICKEL SIGNAL!!!!! Chuckle Tongue

Joe

Thank you Joe!! That's very gracious of you. My first banner too!!!

And I'm somewhat ashamed of myself. Because I don't dig every nickel signal. But maybe I will from now on!!!!

Ed/ODF
(08-11-2015 10:03 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2015 09:02 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, good job on both finds. 

Thanks SLC! I only posted what I could find that was close to the button. Mine, in the insert of the stamping, is oval. All I could find online, in such short notice, was the nice one I posted, which has the round insert. I can't read much if any of the back. I don't know if this was an earlier one from the 1840's or later. I need some button books!

I did find a 1836 RW Robinson trade token snorkeling the river about 5 years ago. So I know that people were here and moving about during that time. And I forgot to mention that I did find a piece of what I think is a horseshoe earlier in. You know those Iron signals!! They can drive you nuts. I thought at first this was a piece of iron, actually. It was giving me all kinds of signals but very high tone, and was a real bear to target. First hole I dug was 12". Thankfully damp mud with a few easy roots. Took me two more tries to find it. If you can come up with more info on it I'd really appreciate that! It's real heavy too. Like solid brass.

ODF

Ask and you shall receive! Your button is most likely from the late 1830's! The only thing I can't see clearly is the back of yours. What I've found seems to have, what looks like, the words 'service' and 'states' on the back. If you can make out those words, then you've got a pretty and early button. (See pic below)

(08-11-2015 09:44 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Holy crap-a-roni's!!! NICE GOLD, ED!!! Congrats on popping the cherry, but...

Joe

Thank you Joe!! That's very gracious of you. My first banner too!!!

And I'm somewhat ashamed of myself. Because I don't dig every nickel signal. But maybe I will from now on!!!!

Ed/ODF
You're up there, Ed Wink And yes, I think anyone who doesn't dig the lower and mid numbers is missing out big time. I myself didn't do it for ages, mainly out of laziness and time constraints. Lately though (past year or so) I've been digging a TON of the lower and mid numbers. Not consistently like I should of course, but most of the better sounding ones. Admittedly, I only do this at old sites, however. I don't really do it for the gold aspect, although that would certainly be nice. I started doing it to break the standard routine of only digging high tones, which can get kinda boring. There's simply too much stuff that can and DOES come up in the lower and medium ranges to forego digging those signals. Aside from the obvious gold...

There are buttons, pins, bullets, coins which read lower due to being on edge/near junk, tokens, etc., etc., etc.

Again, if I'm at a newer site, or one loaded to the brim with fill, I won't dig many low & mediums, but on an older site, I'm pretty much digging everything. IMO, some of the most interesting items are the ones that come up in the low & medium range. They're the suprise cherries on top of the detecting ice cream sundae Happy

Joe
Always nice to find gold. Congrats.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's