Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: DIGGERS - A Rare Event
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Did something last night I haven't done in maybe almost 2 years. I watched one of those metal detecting "reality" shows.

I'm a big fan of that American Greed series on CNBC, where they detail some of the biggest cons & frauds in the world. I was in bed all set to watch the 10 o'clock episode, when I noticed it was a repeat, so I started channel surfing. Was going to watch the special about El Chapo, but I saw Diggers was on, and decided to give it a chance, at the last second.

To be honest, it wasn't AS bad as I remember, but it was still really dumb.

Now they have some "archaeologist" that follows them around and i.d.'s their finds, as well as giving them the lowdown info on the particular spot they're at. While I don't see the need for the archie AT ALL, as he does pretty much next to nothing (window dressing), I have a hunch it was done to...

A. Make some peace/inroads with the archie community
B. Prevent any outcry from the archie community, and stop a cash cow for the digger guys and Garrett from being pulled off the air

Everyone's different, and I'm sure there are many laypeople who will watch the show and think "That's so cool!", but, the flip side is, there will also be many who watch it and incorrectly deduce that all we find are diamonds, rubies & gold. The fact that they rarely find any junk is, well, rubbish, as we all know. And all of the cartwheels, backflips, and running around looks foolish, and struck me as a cheap gimmick.

IMO, I do NOT think the show was created for, nor caters to us diehard detectorists. It is intended more for the mass market, and must be a H-U-G-E driver of sales for Garrett.

There was SOME good, however. Not putting a value on the finds was a welcome relief. They got the sounds of the beeps right (correct tones for the machines), even though one can clearly tell the sound is dubbed, and NOT the actual signal from that specific hit.

I won't lie, being a hunter myself, it was neat to watch, which I guess is the whole point. However, for my money, the "fictional" show 'The Detectorists' is LIGHT YEARS ahead in terms of entertainment, realism, hitting the accuracy mark of what our hobby is all about, and represents required viewing. Diggers???...

I'll gladly watch the show about El Chapo next time, instead Yes

Joe
I have never been able to watch an entire episode.

I have watched bits and pieces of about 3 episodes since the shows inception.

just not my cup of tea!!

Yes this is more intended for the mass audience of whom do not metal detect and is purely entertainment. They found a niche and if acting silly gets them on TV they will do it.

I'll stick to youtube!! Wink
I've seen a couple episodes and kinda didn't like the way they presented themselves. And the suspense they portray was what really turned me off. When I go out into the woods detecting, I don't expect to find anything, and these guys are always over excited about everything. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but people you see that have real ballooned positive attitudes, in my opinion, are manic depressive and wind up crashing. An even, steady course with no overt expectations is my motto.

But that English show is very entertaining and worth the watch because it catches the human aspect of the detectorists life! It's funny, serious, ironic and humbling to a certain extent. It's well done!

ODF
I agree Joe. I've seen a couple of the newer episodes recently and it was less dumb. They still are yelling and running around, but it is more watchable. I was probably watching it the same time you were last night. I saw it on on-demand though. The Santa Fe trail one was interesting.
At least Mackenzie is getting some OJT

http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radi...-interview
(08-29-2015 07:32 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]I agree Joe. I've seen a couple of the newer episodes recently and it was less dumb. They still are yelling and running around, but it is more watchable. I was probably watching it the same time you were last night. I saw it on on-demand though. The Santa Fe trail one was interesting.

The two episodes I saw last night were the ones where they were hunting the old stage coach stop in New Mexico, I think, and the other was where they were looking for the fort at the battle site of Saratoga, here in NY.

To be fair, those two were ALWAYS quirky, as I remember ordering one of their Team ATC DVD's a few years back, before they became famous. Recall being upset that I dropped like $20 for them. They found some good stuff, but real wacky, asinine types of horseplay, which is one of the reasons they probably got picked to do the show. Let's face it, REAL detecting could be boring for the general public, so, the antics help to appeal to a larger audience.

I'm sure they're quite good detectorists outside of the show, and their private persona's are more toned down, but the foolishness just gets in the way of it all, IMO. I'm definitely not saying people can't get excited and all riled up finding something great, but climbing trees, dancing around and all that jazz is unnecessary.

I've mentioned it here before, but, if you want to see a VERY well done program on metal detecting, search YT for "Mudlarkers". Believe it was on the BBC. Chicago Ron was in that one, and it was PHENOMENAL.

Again, I'd watch an episode here & there if there was nothing else on, but is it primetime, must-see t.v.? Not in a longshot.

Joe
I don't have an issue giving the archaeologist a bone. That said I'm not one to care what archaeologist think. They aren't out looking for what those guys find. If it matters so much then go find it yourself and quit complaining when someone else finds it.

In regards to those guys acting all excited. If someone offered me the opportunity to dig where they get to dig and the stipulation was to purport some enthusiasm I would do it. Not to mention they're getting paid for what we love to do. No one runs around like that when metal detecting. I would bet a million bucks those guys are no different than us when detecting without a camera.

As far as the English show I can't comment on the veracity of the show. I'll be honest I have a difficult time watching a show with those accents. Their humor is a little different than ours.

All in all I like diggers. They dig up things we would sacrifice appendages for. If tv showed how many pull tabs or bottle caps we dig how exciting would that be ? I'm a contractor and I HATE DIY TV. That show makes it look like you can remodel your house in 30 minutes for 50 bucks. They don't show all the work that it really takes to remodel a bathroom or kitchen. If they did no one would watch. Kind of the same paradigm.
(08-30-2015 06:26 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have an issue giving the archaeologist a bone. That said I'm not one to care what archaeologist think. They aren't out looking for what those guys find. If it matters so much then go find it yourself and quit complaining when someone else finds it.

In regards to those guys acting all excited. If someone offered me the opportunity to dig where they get to dig and the stipulation was to purport some enthusiasm I would do it. Not to mention they're getting paid for what we love to do. No one runs around like that when metal detecting. I would bet a million bucks those guys are no different than us when detecting without a camera.

As far as the English show I can't comment on the veracity of the show. I'll be honest I have a difficult time watching a show with those accents. Their humor is a little different than ours.

All in all I like diggers. They dig up things we would sacrifice appendages for. If tv showed how many pull tabs or bottle caps we dig how exciting would that be ? I'm a contractor and I HATE DIY TV. That show makes it look like you can remodel your house in 30 minutes for 50 bucks. They don't show all the work that it really takes to remodel a bathroom or kitchen. If they did no one would watch. Kind of the same paradigm.

Hahaha, gotta agree on the accents, not the most pleasant sounding, by a long shot! Here's a good clip making fun of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ng3fG1u4Xg

Joe
This is a little moreĀ  of my type of accent. Watch both , this is some funny stuff. In the first vid you hear him say "come saw" , in Cajun French that means "like that". In the second vid he's talking about trot lines and stuff. As a kajun dude this stuff is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/RamS9e8wBgY

https://youtu.be/Eb9bsy0DOR0
(08-30-2015 11:32 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]This is a little moreĀ  of my type of accent. Watch both , this is some funny stuff. In the first vid you hear him say "come saw" , in Cajun French that means "like that". In the second vid he's talking about trot lines and stuff. As a kajun dude this stuff is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/RamS9e8wBgY

https://youtu.be/Eb9bsy0DOR0

Ha!!! Okay, the first one was a bit creepy, but the second one was hilarious, K man!!!

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's