Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Year to Date Tally...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Playing hooky from work today & tomorrow. Got out today, but, aside from getting into it with a parks worker, nothing exciting. Just some wheats and a silver Rosie. With time to kill (finally), I decided to sort through all my keepers so far for 2013. I started the season late, end of March or so. Could be better, but, no complaints. Prime time still coming. Not a fan of the heat, myself. Enjoy hunting in the Fall and early winter. 

7 Rosies
20 Mercs
9 barber dimes
1 Washington quarter
1 Barber quarter
1 Canadian nickel

39 silver

Non silver

17 Indians
3 buffs
1 large cent
Wheats...Tons, and they're all going to Will in the burgh Cool

Come on everybody, show your stuff for 2013 so far!!!

Joe
You got a few great looking barbers there joe! Your blowing me away..I don't keep track of ...well of really ANYTHING! But off the top of my head, think I've only got a couple barbers and one seated this year...but have got a couple nugs, lol. Keep it up . Any demos in your area? That is my favorite urban spots. Ray
Well, I'd trade all of my silver this year for your one seated, Ray Wink

Haven't gotten one in about a two years. Waiting on my third. Seems like it's never gonna come Dodgy

Joe
Nice tally!!

You got some nice coins there Joe!!  Your tally is better than my tally so I will just call you a Tally Whacker!!Chuckle

I think I have  2 seated this year, A silver French coin, a 1 real, 1 large cent, 1 barber and 3 mercs.

But 9 of my last 15 coins have been seated. Happy

Keep up the great hunting!
(08-27-2013 09:08 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]But 9 of my last 15 coins have been seated. Happy

Geez, you dig seateds like I dig wheaties Tongue Why do you think that is, maybe cause the Carson City mint was out your ways? Strange. Good, but strange. That's one HECK of a ratio!

Joe
Location Location Location

When I hunted parks exclusively I would dig 150-250 silvers a year hunting 1-2 times per week.  Most were Rosies and Mercs with an occasional Barber and a very rare Seated.

Now, Mark and I have been focusing on gold camps, mining sites, old homesites, etc and my silver count is LOW LOW LOW but OLD OLD OLD Yes
(08-28-2013 01:51 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Location Location Location

When I hunted parks exclusively I would dig 150-250 silvers a year hunting 1-2 times per week.  Most were Rosies and Mercs with an occasional Barber and a very rare Seated.

Now, Mark and I have been focusing on gold camps, mining sites, old homesites, etc and my silver count is LOW LOW LOW but OLD OLD OLD Yes

250 silvers?!?!?! Holy smokes!!! My highest was a little over a hundred one year. Our problem here is, the parks have just been pounded to death over the years. Decimated. So, you're basically looking for the scraps...of the scraps. That's why I don't even bother digging anything above 3 or 4", as 95% of the time it's clad or junk. All the old timers took the easy silver out years ago. Which also coincides with my theory on why big silver is so rare. It's the easiest to find due to its size, so, those targets are long gone. I can count on one hand the truly amazing spots I've hunted over the years, where I always left with many silvers or oldies in one outting. Those spots are VERY tough to find nowadays due to many reasons; higher number of hunters in the hobby, easier finding of spots due to google maps & technology, and the deeper units. So, finding virgin (or even semi virgin) spots is tough. That's why I always stress to everyone...

The only future in this hobby is really in the beach & private property. The beaches because they are constantly restocked from beach goers, tidal action & storms, and private property because most of the lands sites (even the out-of-way places) have been hit hard. Also...

The parks for me are more time fillers. If one knows what they're doing, and digs only the deeper signals, as well as the iffy, $hitty signals others have walked over, you can eke out some nice finds. But, due to all of the above, I only work the parks while I'm trying to find better spots. 

P.S. - You boys in Cali don't play. I'd HATE to be hunting the places you guys hunt after you've detected there No Tongue

Joe
Those are impressive totals. Let me think off the top of my balding head. I know I found three indians, one buffalo, one silver Washington, one gold/ diamond ring, one maybe two mercs, a few wheats, and alot of junk. I was hunting in winter too and don't really remember what all I found back then. I found the gold ring on my birthday in March. That was my first and only gold so far. I was using an antique Whites 6000/Di Series 2. I am right around the end of my first year of detecting now. I need too look back and see what all I have found and make a first year post. I think I've done pretty good for a beginner.
I'd say you've done VERY well for just getting into this! Yes Remember, all knowledge is cumulative & compounding. The more you learn & retain, the more you'll find, as you bring that acquired knowledge to each new spot. So, you know better what to listen for, watch for, etc. After you know your machine like the back of your hand, it becomes second nature. It's like you'll almost go off into a trance when hunting. Deep concentration & listening. The T2 is one of the best units out there Wink Learn it well, find older spots, and I predict you're going to be pulling some fantastic stuff Beer

Joe
Wow Joe ,you  be smokin' Homey ! Congrats on a  fabulous year that still has a few months left . That is a real nice collection of  coins you have there . That large Cent is awesome ! Heart I love the way it has  aged  very gracefully .Great photos too ! Yes Beer
Reference URL's