Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Here we go again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(09-19-2015 08:20 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]1. Not really specific to metal detecting. Thanks God. Pure metal detecting shows simply don't cut it.

2. Based on guesses or assumptions on where the gold MIGHT be, they look to start tearing apart museums, and bring in a backhoe to dig a giant crater in the woods. Guesswork? Evidence? None of that was ever shared, only "it might be here, let's dig!" Well since Jeff Davis did stay at the house it was worth a look and how often do you get the opportunity to snoop around a early 1800s mansion (with permission)

3. The scripted drama was not necessary, and some was downright childish. Calling Mike Scott a "yankee" was behavior fitting for a 5 year old...on what's supposed to be a serious, educational type program. That dude is a bit of a odd ball and he considers himself a relic "expert" when in reality he inherited most of his relics and is far from an expert. Bit of a redneck goofball so I think some of that drama plays to the audience yes, but partially real.

Again, almost 100% positive that was scripted (as was the rest of the show), so I don't take offense by the fella"s statement, but gimme a break. Would they have even dared to call the black guy a ni**er? Well Yankees and Rebels -- kind of plays to the title of the show. Not sure Yankee and the N Word are comparable in this case. JMO I think your dislike of the NY Yankees is skewing your vision!! Wink

4. They don't film just one show, they film 3 or 4, and then hope the network picks it up. So, they already know if gold has been found, as they're 4 episodes ahead of us. If it was, don't you think we would've already heard about this magnificent discovery?

Snake Island/ Treasure Island/ Etc-- Just a treasure tale that they chase. Common theme with common outcome. Pretty predictable really.

Aside from smaller items, the main treasure will never be found, because that would end the series. The REAL money is in the show. So, they'll use the old carrot on a stick trick to keep viewers interested every week, just like Gold Rush, and all of the other programs. Don't think they will try to keep Rebel Gold going. I think they would try to spin it with most of the same people but chasing a different treasure tale. Not enough to keep the show going long term.

I can surely see the show being a hit with the unaware, layperson sitting in their armchair at home, who wouldn't know any better, but for us jaded, discerning treasure hunters, IMO, it doesn't pass the smell test. Obviously we are not the target. Not enough of us "geeks" to support a show like that. The general public is the audience and yes it is somewhat scripted but based on who I know, they really do act that way. Kind of scary!! Wink

P.S. ~ One would think after the whole charade with Boom Baby, they wouldn't go near a backhoe with a 50 foot pole, but no such luck.

If I had the chance to dig a potential privy or dump on a site like that, I would not hesitate to get a backhoe!! Remember these guys started like us. Just geeky treasure hunters that had an opportunity to do a TV show. Most of us probably would take the opportunity if presented and our jobs allowed it. I simply couldn't afford to risk a fine career for $2-3 K per episode.

Joe, as entertainment it was OK and I might be a little lenient since I know 4 of the characters. But we live in this wonderful country in which we are all free to like or dislike anything we want!!

Joe
Ron, all good points, and as you said, a LOT of it is very subjective, and comes down to personal taste. As for myself...

I don't watch metal detecting videos or shows to be entertained. At all. I might end UP being entertained in some way, as a BYPRODUCT, but the primary reason I watch these things (mainly youtube videos) is...

To be inspired, motivated, awestruck, etc. What kind of spot is he pulling silver out of? Field? Farm? Tear-out? How is his machine responding to the targets? That AT-Pro is pulling out some deepies, does he have mild dirt? Does he mention how he found the spot, or got permission to hunt it?

I want to be taken on a journey. I want to get the juices flowing to help get me off my butt and push myself to do some more research, or maybe try an out-of-the-way spot I've been eyeing. I want to be fascinated. I want to learn a morsel or two of information.

Yet, these shows aren't designed for this. Period. Instead, they are geared towards the masses, and are playing on the hope that lives in each & every one of us to hit the big one. To win the lottery. To strike oil. To discover a long lost treasure. They're playing on the DREAM. However...

The people that actually DO this, understand that is a VERY slim possibility...if at all. Yes, someone is ALWAYS going to win the lottery, each and every week, but it probably will not be you or I, as the odds surely dictate. The true treasure hunters (us) rarely do it for $$$. We do it for the adventure, the thrill of holding an object in our hands that's been in the ground for the last 100+ years, the emotional roller coaster the journey takes us on. Yet...

The average person sitting at home could care less about all of the above, they're interested solely in the DREAM. So, the minute, the second, something is NOT being found, Mr. Producer needs to find a way to keep the starry-eyed viewer from falling asleep...fast! That's when they ratchet up all of the fake drama, the suspenseful hook's, the heavy machinery, etc. And...

That is precisely when they lose the TRUE detectorists as viewers, for we simply know and expect better.

Gold shows are HOT right now, and believe you me, Discovery is hoping for a long run.

I prefaced my last post by saying that the show wasn't at all as bad as I thought it would be, which I stand on. I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the mindless drivel that was American Digger, or those two schmoe's on Diggers, but IMO, it does not make for required viewing. Based on trends, it actually has a decent shot at catching fire, and I don't begrudge anyone the chance to make an easy buck, so, I wish the stars well, but I'll be sticking with youtube videos...or re-runs of Fantasy Island, instead Chuckle

Joe
Well said Joe.

I hear there are a couple of cool Dudes making youtube videos that will inspire, motivate and awe strike you while taking you on a great Journey or "Adventure" as they call them!! Couple knuckleheads in CA I think!! Wink
(09-20-2015 02:24 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Well said Joe.

I hear there are a couple of cool Dudes making youtube videos that will inspire, motivate and awe strike you while taking you on a great Journey or "Adventure" as they call them!! Couple knuckleheads in CA I think!! Wink

Cool! Who would you be referring to, Ron? Chuckle

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, no blowing smoke, I don't play that game...

You have some of the best videos on YT. Very well done. It's because of the finds, but also because there is no fluff, straightforward. I can watch them all day.

Us treasure hunters are a VERY discerning bunch. Since we're so used to constantly being pitched the "latest & greatest", our bullshit meters are normally on high alert.

We don't need to be pandered to. Give it to us straight & be real. Over time, the wheat will be separated from the chaff Wink

Joe
Well I haven't been here in a while because I've been working so much. These are the exact kind of conversations that I miss. Ron , how would I look up your videos on you tube ?

Joe sorry I've been so busy. This is still my favorite detecting site. Just wish I had more time. I've only been hunting for a few hrs in the last three weeks. It's been non stop at work.
CA Relic Adventures

Type that in YouTube and a few should pop up. Then you can go to our page and subscribe if you like. I think we have a few decent vids that will be of interest.

Thanks

Ron
(09-21-2015 07:13 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Well I haven't been here in a while because I've been working so much. These are the exact kind of conversations that I miss. Ron , how would I look up your videos on you tube ?

Joe sorry I've been so busy. This is still my favorite detecting site. Just wish I had more time. I've only been hunting for a few hrs in the last three weeks. It's been non stop at work.

Believe me, you'll be MUCH better served watching any of Ron's videos than all that bunk on t.v. Yes

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's