Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Mark's Miner Buckle Restored
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mark has his miner buckle restored. Turned out GREAT !

Really cool job and you are preserving history in the process.
Beautiful - congratulations
WOW! That Short fella knows his stuff! What a transformation!

ODF
Never heard of that restoration guy, but, DAMN, he does great work Yes That's just one of those finds most can only dream about. I really like the way you edited the original footage, Ron, and then tied everything together to form a cohesive story surrounding the piece...very good Happy

Joe
Wow that's the same buckle? That's amazing and beautiful.
Nice!
That buckle is certainly one of the pinnacles of California Gold Rush Relics!
I personally think the "miner" depicted on that buckle is actually a grizzly bear, notice the lack of ears, long nose, and large paw-like hands. For me, the artist demonstrated such a great attention to detail, not to make the man appear less bear like, if he had wanted to. Most disagree, but It's a California grizzly in my book. Ron, would love to hear your opinion on the bear vs. man debate.
Super find!
WOW! That is one killer piece of California history. nice restore too!
(09-06-2015 02:04 PM)caprock Wrote: [ -> ]Nice!
That one is certainly one of the pinnacles of California Gold Rush Relics!
I personally think the "miner" depicted on that buckle is actually a grizzly bear, notice the lack of ears, long nose, and large paw-like hands. For me, the artist demonstrated such a great attention to detail, not to make the man appear less bear like, if he had wanted to. Most disagree, but It's a California grizzly in my book. Ron, would love to hear your opinion on the bear vs. man debate.
Super find!

Cap you had me laughing on the bear thought!! I had to go back and look!!

Interesting concept. I would agree that the face could be "bear like" but not sure it was intentional. But who knows!! The Grizzly was used in the original CA Republic Flag and Grizzly has been part of the CA seal since 1853. So it is plausible that the manufacture made play with his artistic expression and mixed the Miner and the Grizzly.!! However, the Grizzly has always been illustrated as on all fours. I am going to go with lack of detail in the miners face and that it still represent a human.

That was a fun thought though!

But you could be right as no one can prove it either way!!
Ron, I guess I'll have to keep searching for more evidence to support my argument. Maybe some day a manufacturer's catalog or other info will turn up. In the meantime, here's one of my favorite period images.I think that second one may have been our guy in old age.
Reference URL's