Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Shadow Box Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm really getting tired of having all of my better finds sitting in some ugly, nondescript box. NOT why I got into this hobby, or why I slave away for hours on end swinging a giant stick looking for objects in the ground Chuckle I want to be able to better enjoy the fruits of my labor. So...

I went into Michael's Craft store earlier, and they actually have a sale on shadow boxes. I'm going to pick up couple up this week, but need to know...

What are you guys using as the platform in the box to rest all of your finds on? They had foam core, but I didn't like the look of it. I was trying to get like a black foam type of material, or sponge. Also...

How are you holding the pieces in place (especially coins)? I don't want to cut a groove and stick them in to have half the coins hidden. I want to lay them flat, and then hang the boxes on the wall. Double sided tape, sticky dots?

Joe
Hey Joe,

Michaels also has sheets of felt in a variety of colors that work great as background colors. I use them in the ricker box displays.

[attachment=6479]

For my shadows boxes I hot glue the relics and they will stay put. For coins get the round acrylic cases and put the nice coins in them and then you can hot glue that in the shadow box as well without damaging the coins. But for non key date coins I have actually just hot glued them directly into the shadow box as well. I just printed out the backdrop. Picture off the internet and I set it as a watermark so it was not to bright and just gives a nice background without distracting from the finds.

[attachment=6480]

My cache is all hot glued directly in the shadow box. All the coins were environmental damage and I think it looks great and after all it is my display!! LOL

Get creative--often times at Ross or Marshalls (Discount dept stores) you will find shadow boxes with "themed" designs for a kitchen office etc. I buy these for a few bucks and gut them out and then use it for a display. The big shadow box in the middle had a boat house them. I ripped out all the boathouse stuff and inserted relics/coins and other finds and a few pictures a couple $1 wooden boxes and filled them with silver coins etc. One of my favorite displays!!
OUTSTANDING work Ron!!! YesYesYesYes

ODF
I want to second that - outstanding work indeed!

Your hired!
Holy crap, that's amazing! I like how you made that one box look like a little cabin/mine...pretty damn cool Wink

I asked the young lady in Michael's what she would recommend to hold coins and relic pieces up, and she said TWO PART EPOXY! Even though I don't have many key date coins, I remember thinking "I have to EPOXY my stuff?!", lol.

I was thinking about those little sticky dots, that are kind of like 2 sided tape, but I don't think they'll be strong enough to hold up something heavy, long term.

Did you actually glue your gold coin, bust, seateds, etc. up on that paper?

Good ideas, Ron Yes What kind of glue would you recommend? I obviously don't want something that can harm the pieces.

Does anyone know what that clear rubbery stuff is, sometimes it's on the back of remote controls, or anything really. It kinda looks like snot, it's clear, and it's very stretchy. It normally peels right off of whatever it is affixed to, and leaves no trace. Is it silicone, maybe?

Thanks, Ron Beer

Joe
Thanks for the comments

I actually did hot glue the gold coin and others with low temp hot glue. They are only coins!! Think LOL over a decade and still holding strong!!

They do have that sticky stuff to hang pictures and stuff now so I am sure that would work just fine. 2 part epoxy might be a bit overkill!! Happy
(09-18-2015 02:03 AM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the comments

I actually did hot glue the gold coin and others with low temp hot glue. They are only coins!! Think LOL over a decade and still holding strong!!

They do have that sticky stuff to hang pictures and stuff now so I am sure that would work just fine. 2 part epoxy might be a bit overkill!! Happy

You got bigger cajones that I do, Ron, as it would be REAL tough for me to take ANY glue to a gold coin...if I found one Chuckle Then again...

You guys out there find so many of them, what's the big deal about mussing up just one or two of them! Lol Tongue

Joe
You got bigger cajones that I do, Ron, as it would be REAL tough for me to take ANY glue to a gold coin...if I found one Chuckle Then again...

You guys out there find so many of them, what's the big deal about mussing up just one or two of them! Lol Tongue

Joe

Glue is softer than gold!! Wink
Reference URL's