Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Played in the Woods
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Haven't hit any wooded spots this season, as they've been too overgrown & buggy, but fall is quickly approaching, and thought I'd start warming up. So, tried a few places I've had my eye on, and it was a great hunt.

My favorite find is the button. If anyone knows what it's related to, please chime in. The only things I can make out for the backmark is the letters "WH", and then some gobbledygook I can't see, and then the letters "TMA", followed by more gobbledygook. Could it be a Horstmann's? Any guess what the "12" indicates? What's really cool is, there's a loop someone attached to the back, which is the first I've ever pulled like that. Also has a decent amount of gilding still on it. My guess is someone wore the button on a chain, to remember a loved one or something along those lines...but only a guess.

Also got a WW1/WW2 Caduceus collar disk, a plain flat button, a suspender clip, and some type of broken lead figurine.

Joe
My wife and I did park this morning then rained out.
This afternoon beach rained out again.
You found more nice relics Congrats.
Congrats and no clue to the origin of that very fine button. WTG Joe!!

ODF
The button thing with the staff with wings and a snake wrapped around it is a WW1 Military Surgeons button or collar disc thing (have found several myself on the old VA hospital site I've been diggin for a few yrs). Cool find!

The button with the # "12" on it is I believe a war of 1812 - 12th regiment button... Very nice!

Beer
Very cool buttons, congratulations.
Relic hunter is probably right but you can look through Albert's button book
Nice finds Joe!

What you actually have is a New York 12th regiment militia button, civil war period.
I believe they are fairly rare. The ring on the shank is called a bachelors ring. Not 100% sure what the function is though.

http://www.sgtriker.com/nondugunionregulation.htm
(09-16-2015 10:20 AM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Nice finds Joe!

What you actually have is a New York 12th regiment militia button, civil war period.
I believe they are fairly rare. The ring on the shank is called a bachelors ring. Not 100% sure what the function is though.

http://www.sgtriker.com/nondugunionregulation.htm

Thanks guys Happy Frank, THANK YOU, this thing was driving me nuts, as I couldn't definitively i.d. it! This is why we love this hobby. To think that a soldier wore this button on their uniform 150 years ago, and I'm the first person to hold it after all these years is a TERRIFIC feeling. I'm happy this spot worked out, and even though no old coins, a find like this means so much more.

I need to read more about the bachelor ring info Yes

Cool!

Joe
Here's your button Joe

it is in fact an civil war piece -- NY Militia

shoulda known from it being a 2 piece that it wasn't an 1812 era piece

still a cool find no matter

congrats on a super find Yes

[attachment=6487]

[attachment=6488]

[attachment=6489]
Fantastic!
(09-17-2015 07:27 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Here's your button Joe

it is in fact an civil war piece -- NY Militia

shoulda known from it being a 2 piece that it wasn't an 1812 era piece

still a cool find no matter

congrats on a super find :yes

Wayne, great info Yes The spot where I found it was surely picked clean over the years, but they obviously missed a bunch of stuff. I was digging everything nickel and above, which I always do at an older spot, and I'm sure others passed over this button because it wasn't in the higher coin ranges. At least, that's my theory Happy There's not a whole lot of signals left, but when one comes up, if it's at least a few inches deep, it could be good. Need to get back there after some heavy rain, once it cools down.

(09-19-2015 09:36 AM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Fantastic!

Thanks, Ray Beer

Joe
Reference URL's