Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Are all units created equal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How much of a variance in depth do you think is possible between a batch of detectors that come off the production line...if any? Doesn't matter what or brand or model. Do you think there could be a sizable difference in depth/performance standards from one Tesoro off the line versus the one right behind it? Again, same question for any brand.

Would it be possible that one Whites' or Minelab can have a sizable difference in performance based on the batch, unit, or lot?

Being since a lot is done by hand on units, wouldn't human error, etc. come into play?

Not asking for any specific reason, but I've always tended to think (my imagination, lol) that my Safari might be a bit hotter based on it's performance. And I've surely heard people complaining about faulty machines before, too. It goes both ways.

Do detector manufacturers have any type of grading system or measurement scale, when it comes to uniformity between units? I know they do bench testing, but anything aside from this?

Joe
Unless the circuit boards are crap to begin with, there shouldn't be any difference. Most of the stuff is tuned with an oscilloscope. When the wave pattern meets the predetermined spec, the units are good to go within very tight parameters. Now using other coils made by a separate manufacturer may make a difference, but that's user adaptation. In the end it's all about soil conditions and user interface. Fast off, deep on, low and slow! You're OBSESSED with DEPTH!! Chuckle

ODF
It is possible that some parts appear to work in house and to spec but there are detectors that went out - commercials were done and folks bought them and - POW they were getting calls by the ton...
So I say it is possible but keep at it and try another area - I did and got better depth.
Sure theres difference..sometimes alot. Tom D. wouldnt have his side business ,where that not the case. Ive had Sovereigns and Tejons that where noticably different.
(09-19-2015 06:21 PM)deathray Wrote: [ -> ]Sure theres difference..sometimes alot. Tom D. wouldnt have his side business ,where that not the case. Ive had Sovereigns and Tejons that where noticably different.

I agree, Ray. Definitely, 1,000% all brands/models have hotter unit off the production line. Think of the 1021 or 1121 CZ"s versus others. Or the Ireland produced Minelab"s versus others, etc. But...

My main question is, how MUCH hotter? Would it be possible one unit can get an extra inch or two versus the one right behind it?

As with any machines, there are slight differentials. Then there's the calibration, which I'm not sure if still done by a real person, or computer. Lots of room for error.

Joe
Reference URL's