Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: I'm Going To Kill It This Fall w/The Racer In My 1840s/50s Ghost Town Site :D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is/was only my 2nd time out with this machine since I got her about 2 weeks back.

I didn't find anything earth shattering with it today

BUT

what IS "earth shattering" about this machine I'm finding is:

even with the small OOR 5" coil -- I'm getting UNBELIEVABLE depth (the shotgun head/stamp was tagged at 10"/11" deep)! I was blown away when I dug and dug and dug and out popped the shell deeper than my Lesche digger is long!

On a side note in correlation to the above - what I also find beyond amazing is this machines uncanny ability to pick/pluck things mixed in trash/iron like there's no tomorrow!

The 1st time out I used 2 tones in a site I've had the AT Pro, F19, CTX and Deus in several times over but this time I hunted another site that I've had all of those machines in as well as the Vaquero too and I set her to 3 tones due to the more modern trash content in this site and WoW!

I just gotta say - the modulated audio of this machine along with the 3rd tone makes it sound and act exactly like a Deus does = it LOVES round objects and the deeper a target is the fainter the sound/tone but there's just something about it that speaks volumes to you IF you're used to that type of sound/tone/audio overall

and therefore

with all stated here = I can't WAIT to get this thing out to the site I found my $1 gold piece in last year with the Deus cuz this thing is going to find things that "dreams are made of"!! Big Grin

[Image: race%20001_zpsxxqq07hu.jpg]

[Image: race%20002_zps2uhk29xf.jpg][Image: race%20005_zps7gnqyazo.jpg]

[Image: race%20004_zpsh7ltqmnz.jpg]

[Image: race%20006_zpskpbabwtv.jpg]

[Image: race%20003_zpsbr5vehw7.jpg]

[Image: race%20007_zpsqdwndpcj.jpg][Image: race%20008_zpscu0zwdfr.jpg]
Good write~up, Wayne Yes The further my addiction makes me sink in this hobby (lol), the more I crave info.

Do you have mild dirt by you? What you described is very surpring, as I always had the Racer pegged as a speed/separation type unit. To be pulling out shells at 11" deep (with a small coil, no less!) has me intrigued.

I'm in the modulated audio lovers group. I had an F75 years ago, and just didn't get it. Great machine, but it was real chatty, and I didn't give it enough time. One thing I really didn't like on it though, was a tiny finishing nail, or piece of gum wrapper would hit & sound like it was an inch deep, when in reality it was maybe 7 or 8". While the depth was crazy good, I actually like to KNOW when I have a deep target under the coil, instead of digging nothing but junk.

I'm very surprised you're more impressed with the Racer versus the Deus, as with most guys, it's normally the other way around.

That field looks AWFULLY enticing!

Hopefully we both have a great fall Happy

Joe
Great write up Wayne! To get a headstamp at 11" with a 5" coil is truly amazing! Like your other finds too. I get those rings all the time down here near the wagon roads. They have something to do with horses but I got no idea what.

We all got some rain here yesterday and the temps look like they are dropping from the highs we had so best of luck this coming Fall. You always find some real interesting stuff and I'll be looking forward to seeing it!

ODF
(09-19-2015 10:58 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Good write~up, Wayne Yes The further my addiction makes me sink in this hobby (lol), the more I crave info.

Do you have mild dirt by you? What you described is very surpring, as I always had the Racer pegged as a speed/separation type unit. To be pulling out shells at 11" deep (with a small coil, no less!) has me intrigued.

I'm in the modulated audio lovers group. I had an F75 years ago, and just didn't get it. Great machine, but it was real chatty, and I didn't give it enough time. One thing I really didn't like on it though, was a tiny finishing nail, or piece of gum wrapper would hit & sound like it was an inch deep, when in reality it was maybe 7 or 8". While the depth was crazy good, I actually like to KNOW when I have a deep target under the coil, instead of digging nothing but junk.

I'm very surprised you're more impressed with the Racer versus the Deus, as with most guys, it's normally the other way around.

Joe

Joe

the dirt here in lower Michigan is very inert/neutral for the most part and that's why we get the depth out of the VLF machines

it typically runs around 1 on the FE scale of a F75/F19 and a lot of times at 0 bars with a max of 2 on occasion in some areas

upper Michigan (the UP) across the bridge is a whole different world - it's rocky/mountainous type terrain up there with high iron/metals/minerals content in the soil - they mine copper & iron and other metals/minerals up there and VLF machines are basically useless up there -- you gotta have/use a PI machine in much of the area up there if you expect to make deeper/consistent finds... An exception may be a high freq. VLF in some of areas.

Not sure I'm more excited about the Racer than I am/was the Deus (well maybe a bit!)

but

it's gotta be this little coil more than anything that makes this unit shine in trash/iron like it does... and... the fact that you can go in behind world class machines and pluck things out of the exact same ground you've ran those machines over (as well as other very good machines) is very encouraging and uplifting after having pounded the site/s to where you weren't getting anymore diggable hits with those machines in the mix of heavy iron/trash Yes

That's why I can't wait to take it into the 1840s/50s ghost town site once the crops come out -- I know it's going to pluck some goodies out of the machine gun iron in there!

Beer
Pretty impressive, Wayne. We all know it starts with the spot, and that site is a doozy, so it is going to be VERY interesting to see what the Racer & small coil combo will uncover Yes

We have moderately bad dirt here in the northeast. VLF's can work well, but you're really not going to get super deep depth out of them. We need the multiple frequencies to punch through.

I assume you'll be digging everything a hair above iron at the spot, yes? Maybe even some iron hits?

Here's what my PERFECT arsenal would be...

My trusty Safari for depth, I know it like the back of my hand.

AT-Gold for a iron work machine.

CZ21/Excal/Sov for beach hunting.

Give me those three units and I'm pretty confident I can cover most spots well.

I've taken the ATX out to play about 3 times now, and I am completely and utterly LOST. Dug nothing but junk, which is kind of to be expected, but going from TID machines to a P.I. is DIFFICULT. Apples to oranges.

And it is HEAVY, too!!! The Minelab's feel like a feather compared to it. So, it sits in the closet for now. Every time I promise myself I'm going to use it, and invest the time learning it, I reach for the ML, instead. Guess I have bragging rights for having the most expensive doorstop on the block, lol.

Joe
MRhunter, very impresive - that is deep, keep us posted on future hunts
(09-19-2015 10:58 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Good write~up, Wayne Yes The further my addiction makes me sink in this hobby (lol), the more I crave info.

Joe

All of this and then some.
Wayne, check out this video of B. Ladd using the Racer in thick iron. He's not using the small coil, but very interesting Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIBjZefWB_c

Joe
Reference URL's