Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Minelab SE Explorer Pro & Hot Rocks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello All-

I have an SE Pro that I use as a back up machine.  Lately I've been using it a lot because, dummy me, I taught my better half to detect with my E-trac as it is an easier machine to use.
The problem is hot rocks.  We've left three sites recently because all I could pick up on the machine were rocks.  I searched forums, google, minelab site, etc... and did find some tips, and although I followed through on the suggestions,nothing seemed to work to any satisfaction.
Does anyone have this machine, and if so, do you have any tips or settings that have worked avoiding these signals?
Diva,

I have the machine and hot rocks are a problem. I only run into them in certain areas. There's not a lot you can do about it. You can lessen it by using a smaller coil, turning down your sensitivity and lowering your gain to no less than 6. I usually run Sense at 12, or less, and Gain at 6 with a smartscreen program that's pretty narrow. Then you just have to slow down and work around the spots. Now I've also heard that turning up your sense and gain narrows the beam. But I've tried that in those areas and it's horrible. Best of luck. It's a task working around hot rocks!

Ed/ODF
(09-23-2015 08:04 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Diva,

I have the machine and hot rocks are a problem. I only run into them in certain areas. There's not a lot you can do about it. You can lessen it by using a smaller coil, turning down your sensitivity and lowering your gain to no less than 6. I usually run Sense at 12, or less, and Gain at 6 with a smartscreen program that's pretty narrow. Then you just have to slow down and work around the spots. Now I've also heard that turning up your sense and gain narrows the beam. But I've tried that in those areas and it's horrible. Best of luck. It's a task working around hot rocks!

Ed/ODF

Thank you so much for the speedy reply!  I will try my smaller coil, and the settings you suggested, and let you know how that works out.  I remain hopeful.
(09-23-2015 08:21 AM)Detecting Diva Wrote: [ -> ]

Ed/ODF

Thank you so much for the speedy reply!  I will try my smaller coil, and the settings you suggested, and let you know how that works out.  I remain hopeful.

And to let you know, the Etrac is okay, but the SE Pro is a SILVER MAGNET. Good luck! Hope it works for you!

ODF
Don't think I can say it any better than Ed did, as that was some excellent information, but I will add this...

Hot rocks are tough beasts to contend with. I'm constantly fooled by them, although there IS a good telltale sign that can give them up as such, before being dug, a lot of the time.

Kind of tough to describe sounds in word speak, but here goes...

Hot rocks tend to have more of a dull-ish sound to them. Flat. There's not a sharp/crisp beginning and ending. More muted, in a sense. Whereas a coin signal is more tight, or sharp sounding...especially in the front & back end, if that makes sense.

Again, tough to describe in words, but I hope you get what I mean.

Of course, a lot has to do with the size/shape of the hot rock, which can have a big effect on the signal sound, but a good deal of the time I'm able to decipher a hot rock based on the flatter tone. Of course, other times they can sound almost exactly like a coin hit.

Have you tried burying one, and comparing the signal to a coin, button, ring, etc.? It would be a good experiment.

Also, I tend to find a lot of hot rocks don't hit hard like a coin or relic piece will...or even a piece of junk, like iron or something. It goes right back to the sound being flatlined, or softer/duller. And they tend not to hit well from different angles, unlike a coin in the 0 to 6" range.

I don't think there's a cure all for eliminating the bastardly little turds (lol), but if you can learn some of the telltale signs, it might save you legwork in digging many of them. Of course...

If you're working spots that are wall-to-wall hot rocks...you're gonna be driven mad, no matter what you do.

Joe
(09-23-2015 08:17 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2015 08:21 AM)Detecting Diva Wrote: [ -> ]

Ed/ODF

And to let you know, the Etrac is okay, but the SE Pro is a SILVER MAGNET. Good luck! Hope it works for you!

ODF

Yes, it is a silver magnet, but a gold magnet too--I used the gold I found with my SE to purchase the E-trac.  Too bad I don't hunt the beaches like I used to, I get more satisfaction from hunting the woods for the old stuff now, although silver and gold are always a great find.

(09-23-2015 11:57 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Don't think I can say it any better than Ed did, as that was some excellent information, but I will add this...

Hot rocks are tough beasts to contend with. I'm constantly fooled by them, although there IS a good telltale sign that can give them up as such, before being dug, a lot of the time.

Kind of tough to describe sounds in word speak, but here goes...

Hot rocks tend to have more of a dull-ish sound to them. Flat. There's not a sharp/crisp beginning and ending. More muted, in a sense. Whereas a coin signal is more tight, or sharp sounding...especially in the front & back end, if that makes sense.

Again, tough to describe in words, but I hope you get what I mean.

Of course, a lot has to do with the size/shape of the hot rock, which can have a big effect on the signal sound, but a good deal of the time I'm able to decipher a hot rock based on the flatter tone. Of course, other times they can sound almost exactly like a coin hit.

Have you tried burying one, and comparing the signal to a coin, button, ring, etc.? It would be a good experiment.

Also, I tend to find a lot of hot rocks don't hit hard like a coin or relic piece will...or even a piece of junk, like iron or something. It goes right back to the sound being flatlined, or softer/duller. And they tend not to hit well from different angles, unlike a coin in the 0 to 6" range.

I don't think there's a cure all for eliminating the bastardly little turds (lol), but if you can learn some of the telltale signs, it might save you legwork in digging many of them. Of course...

If you're working spots that are wall-to-wall hot rocks...you're gonna be driven mad, no matter what you do.

Joe

The sites I was hunting when this became a problem were just chock full of hot rocks.  No matter where I swung the coil, it was a hot rock.  And it was maddening to get a high silver tone, dig and dig, only to find out that it was the rock giving me the signal.  In the past I wasn't getting high signals from hot rocks, more medium, and flat like you describe.  This wasn't much of a problem until I moved. This area has a very different soil (and rock) composition. I usually figure out they are hot rocks by the 2nd or third signal, but its still maddening.
Thanks for all your help, I am going to use some of these hints, and let you all know how I make out.
Reference URL's