Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Think my 11" Pro coil is toast!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went through two areas today with my 11" Pro coil. Spent some time going through new areas in the same woods. I was getting weird 15-01, 11-01, 7-01 high tone which would not repeat. Actually, I really didn't dig much of anything. I know this may be normal, but very unusual. Okay, I found a few more headstamps and a little, what I think may be a dollhouse pewter teapot, but really nothing else except nulling. Now this is settings at 18 sense, gain 7, and several noise cancels.

So I go to another spot. I know there are signals there, I've passed up a zillion of them. Same scenario. So I find a signal. I can target it. I test out pinpointing with my AT Garrett Carrot set on high, and it's under my kneeling knee!! And I'm petty sober. So enough of this crap. I'm not to far from the Blue Beast (My Truck) and I go there and switch out to the 8X6 SEF, and I go back to that exact spot.

Hate to say it but I targeted the "Knee" spot and just found a 2"dia. x 3/4" ring of shed copper pipe at three inches down.

Talked to Leo about this. Am going to set up a test garden and do a comparison of the 11" Pro to the 8X6SEF. But I'm fairly certain the 11" is toast by some method do to field results. I loved that coil and it's never acted like this.

Ed/ODF
ODF\Ed, you make a good oint because I have been struggling with my small minelab coil. Wierd signals and hard to lock into them. I have been finding coins but it seems like I too make excuses - like its to dry or settings are wrong.

I hope yours is ok and not toast.

Next time out I will do the compare like you did and see what is up.

Good luck with the test garden
Be sure to check the obvious----coil cover and connection.
The procoil is a winner but don't shy from trying something else like the NEL coils.
Hunter and Sharpshooter work very well and are more nimble than the round coils
Hello Dusty, that is a good point - it might have some crap built up under the cover.

I'll check it out and clean it up

Thanks
Well I checked it out. The coil cover and bottom of the coil were pretty clean, but I rinsed them off anyway, dried them and put them back. I checked the screws on the connector and they are tight. Now I didn't do a garden just yet but I'm planning it. Didn't use it today either because I want finds, and I don't want to be blindly wandering around the woods. So when I get that garden going I'll let you know. That 11" Pro is a DYNAMITE coil!!!! It's been a winner in several hunts.

I think I may have hunted the areas out for the signals I look for. And that's possible. I have to change my method to continue further in that area. I'm not a real tone guy yet. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to tone because I've dug so much iron it's almost pathetic. And shotgun headstamps and pulltabs are about even in the count. The only other way to hunt it would be with a totally different machine. Or wait for rain to soak the ground.

ODF
ODF\Ed, you are using the Minelab SE Pro, right? Then you should be able to eliminate some iron using your machine and not dig as much.
I switch my machine (Exp II) back to normal tone from audio three and it has helped me today. I think the very dry almost fine dirt that I am coming across is like powder. And the grass around this small dug up area is dead.
So what I am saying is these really dry conditions you need to change to different settings like normal and let the machine do it's job. After all I am not able to dig deeper then two inches and that probably has an effect on the machine. Most of the coins I found today were in the dirt piles.
Good luck
(09-25-2015 10:15 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]ODF\Ed, you are using the Minelab SE Pro, right? Then you should be able to eliminate some iron using your machine and not dig as much.
I switch my machine (Exp II) back to normal tone from audio three and it has helped me today. I think the very dry almost fine dirt that I am coming across is like powder. And the grass around this small dug up area is dead.
So what I am saying is these really dry conditions you need to change to different settings like normal and let the machine do it's job. After all I am not able to dig deeper then two inches and that probably has an effect on the machine. Most of the coins I found today were in the dirt piles.
Good luck

Thanks for the heads up Tony but I run Normal as the standard. I have Normal, Long, Smooth and Pitch Hold. I can only tolerate Normal. I run Ferrous. The tone distinction in my soil is truly amazing with the variability set at 10. And I run Fast off, Deep on in Recovery. Lately I've been holding sensitivity at either 18 or 20 on Auto because Auto eliminates the chatter and in this dry ground the Volume Gain I dropped to 7 where I was running 8 up until this point this year. If we ever get any substantial rain and the ground gets soaked, I'll narrow the coil beam with 22 to 24 Sensitivity and up the Gain again to 8. But everything else remains the same in those conditions too. Seems to work well in my soil here. But I have to slow down quite a bit because I am really thinly slicing through the soil at that point. I'm one away from last years total. If I can get it before the end of September, I'll be three months ahead of last year on totals. No Brag Tony. Just pushing the envelope as hard as I can!

Happy Hunting Tony!

ODF
Ed, odf I had to swicth Ferrous to Conductive and auto to manual. I think it is not only the dryness but the construction sites I visit. I also switched to deep recently, I was never a fan of deep beacuse all other settings were up there except gain - I dropped to 6 - I just couldn't get through those noises anymore. I adjust sensitivity alot but mostly above 22. I used to be a 29 guy all of the time but not this year.

Good luck with getting to your last year total this early and good liuck for the remainder of the year.
(09-27-2015 09:58 AM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, odf I had to swicth Ferrous to Conductive and auto to manual. I think it is not only the dryness but the construction sites I visit. I also switched to deep recently, I was never a fan of deep beacuse all other settings were up there except gain - I dropped to 6 - I just couldn't get through those noises anymore. I adjust sensitivity alot but mostly above 22. I used to be a 29 guy all of the time but not this year.

Good luck with getting to your last year total this early and good liuck for the remainder of the year.

Big Tony,

Well I feel for you in construction sites. They are usually an iron/construction scrap and hot rock mess with all the churning up of the soil! I try to avoid them if I can. Over here the hot mineralization is good in some areas and horrible in others. Funny thing is the big trees pull the hot rocks up with the roots and when I go around a tree as such I can see what's really beneath my feet because of the nulling around the tree. Then I adjust accordingly. One thing about the SE though is if you really know it, and can put up with the noise, it's like having 3 or 4 machines in one. If it wasn't for the sniping smart screens I saved and worked on for a while now, I would just hold the Power button down and do a reset to factory settings and start from scratch.
In an attempt, of course, to reeducate myself on the machine.

And thank you and good luck as well!!

ODF
Ed Odf, you make some good points - yes there was plenty of crap/iron and parts of lead. But it is one of two sites that I am able to hunt right now and hate to pass up a possible if I have time.
Reference URL's