Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: My New Old Machine OR Old New Machine!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Either way = it's cool!

And I'm taking her out for a spin in about 5 minutes here = Sovereign GT with Ron's 180 meter attached Big Grin

Will report back with any finds/etc.

[Image: sovv%20001_zpsbwamabcp.jpg]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whelp = nothing really good today

but

I LOVE MINELAB MACHINES/TONES!

I don't think there's a machine on the planet that compares to the sound a high end ML puts out Happy

Just like the Excal 1000 I had many moons ago Big Grin

[Image: beach%20003_zpsfzou43vd.jpg]

[Image: beach%20002_zpszwgtrtwa.jpg]

[Image: beachs%20001_zpsoinj6oyu.jpg]
At least you got out and dug something! Pretty cool on the beach I'd guess. You did pretty good for picking up an old machine and going!

ODF
Yeah, pretty cool pictures of the beach. Good luck
(09-27-2015 07:32 AM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]At least you got out and dug something! Pretty cool on the beach I'd guess. You did pretty good for picking up an old machine and going!

ODF

Wasn't hard at all Ed

Sovereigns are just land versions of Excal 800's/1000's -- I had an Excal like 10/12 yrs back for a couple of yrs so it was like riding a bike in picking up the Sov.

I love the threshold hum and the "zing" of the high/er tones these sov/excals produce - there's nothing really out there to compare it to. The Explorer series machines and beyond don't sound the same - they have their own sound (which is sweet to the ear too)!

Another thing about these sov/excal's is the depth - not too many VLF machines out there compare in that regard either (except other minelabs)! Maybe CZ's

but

that's why you see (or have over the last decade +) many guys using these sovereigns at the beach with the 15" W.O.T. coil = MONSTER depth using that coil and nothing can touch it in the VLF dept. (especially for saltwater environment).

Where these machines lack is in "trash/iron" as they're not made for that type of environment (but at the same time) I didn't buy it for that and have multiple machines for those type of sites.

I got this sucker (and a 13" ultimate coil coming for it) so that I can hunt the fringes of my trashy/iron sites and look for DEEP silver with a trip to the Lake Michigan beachfront thrown in now and then for good measure Big Grin

HH
Looking good to me !!!
A Sov is a damn good machine, and I've heard they can be very good on land. I might pick one up for beach hunting, as I always wanted to try hunting in reverse discrimination. How deep was it going? What was the deepest target (ballpark) you dug?

Joe
(09-27-2015 07:27 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]A Sov is a damn good machine, and I've heard they can be very good on land. I might pick one up for beach hunting, as I always wanted to try hunting in reverse discrimination. How deep was it going? What was the deepest target (ballpark) you dug?

Joe

Hey Joe

one of the quarters was around 11"/12" inches deep

she'll go deeper I'm sure and especially with a larger coil

mine came with stock 10" tornado coil (equivalent of excal 1000) except the control box as you know is not waterproof (coil is though)... and I have the 13" Ultimate coil coming too...

Beer
(09-27-2015 05:25 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Either way = it's cool!

And I'm taking her out for a spin in about 5 minutes here = Sovereign GT with Ron's 180 meter attached Big Grin
What purpose does the meter serve on a machine like that ? Not trying to be a smartass or anything. I truly don't know. That's the first I've seen of the meter.
(09-29-2015 06:28 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-27-2015 05:25 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Either way = it's cool!

What purpose does the meter serve on a machine like that ? Not trying to be a smartass or anything. I truly don't know. That's the first I've seen of the meter.

Same purpose as a VDI machine

it shows a numeric # associated with certain targets

IE:
silver dime/quarter/half 180
large gold ring 177
zinc penny/med gold ring 162
nickels 155

and so on and so on

it's really not needed but just adds to the machine overall and does aid in helping you get used to the tones of one target VS another IF you're unfamiliar with the sovereigns/excals tones.
Reference URL's