Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Miscellaneous.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Went out to a new spot where I didn't find much outside of headstamps and a few other shell casings, and remnant's of a shovel. Only covered a smidgen of the territory. Pretty much the same as the woods I do in the Metroparks but this area is 175 acres of city owned industrial development land that was basically swept up during the boom industrial days and then never developed because ALL THE JOBS WENT TO CHINA! But the city told me, "Knock yourself out!".

Enough venting.

But to make matters worse, I'm finding these markers all over the place, designating the area through the city and this fella who is Executive Director of Ohio Stream Preservation as protected easement areas. No doubt for massive construction which involves bulldozers and such, but what about Metal Detecting? So I wrote a respectful letter to the Executive Director explaining my city permissions and all the ethics and protocol that goes along with the hobby. I explained to him that early settlers would camp by such streams, water their horses etc... So I await a response from him. And they have maps and everything. It's a whole well done site.

In other news I found headstamps, a few shell casings, etc, there. And the shovel.

The little pewter teapot, round brass thing with a half inch hole in it and the pistol ? roundball were from that site I pounded over and over again where I found all of the last weeks silver coin, and the St. Kevin pendant.

So if I hear anything from the Executive Director I'll let you know.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

ODF
Cool teapot Yes

the little round ball could be a bucky ball (buckshot)

it seems a bit small for a pistol ball = I could be wrong but just my opinion

Beer
(09-28-2015 06:59 AM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Cool teapot Yes

the little round ball could be a bucky ball (buckshot)

it seems a bit small for a pistol ball = I could be wrong but just my opinion

Beer

I was just guessing on the pistol ball. Considering I find so many headstamps in the area where I found that, you could be right! Yes

ODF
Well ODF at least you get to go hunting. I work everyday right now and don't go at all. I always enjoy your finds but I appreciate that you give us a story to go with it.
(09-29-2015 06:22 AM)Kajunman Wrote: [ -> ]Well ODF at least you get to go hunting. I work everyday right now and don't go at all. I always enjoy your finds but I appreciate that you give us a story to go with it.

Thanks Kajun! Looking forward to seeing your stuff too! Hope you can get out!

ODF
Like the pics, Ed, but, not sure on one point...

IMO, don't think you should've written the exec dir. asking for clarification on metal detecting ground rules. You're professional in your actions, respect the land, etc. How much of a disturbance would you be? Obviously, if you start to see activity afoot (backhoes, workmen, etc.) you would know not to be on the premises, but it's empty now. Further...

The city told you to "knock yourself out", which figures as a green light, in my book.

I feel you were already in the clear, but by writing this "executive", you're basically asking to be told no, which is often what happens under these circumstances. They get a random letter, and immediately think; "Hmmm, some nut wants to look for treasure on this property. I better say no, as it could be a liability issue."

Unless somewhere is CLEARLY prohibited (cemetery, historical area, etc.), I think one is best served simply ASSUMING it's okay to detect, and potentially be told "no" later, than to ask beforehand, and be served with rejection.

You were told to knock yourself out. As long as you have that person's permission, you're doing nothing wrong, so no need for a clarification of the "rules" Yes

Sorry for the rant, but don't want to see you get the heave-ho, when you're simply looking to enjoy a hobby, like the rest of us. We are under attack.

Joe
Joe,

I asked the City service manager about that too. He said not to worry. The survey was done to help sell the land for development with a rural "Campus" look and also help comply with Federal and State watershed rules from the get go. These Ohio Stream fellas are certified environmental and landscape people who are actually doing the cities around here a big favor to get there vacant land developed. On the weekends though the four wheelers and dirt bikers pretty much go nuts back there and the city doesn't have enough police manpower to station a couple of guys in to enforce protection. So I'm okay in there but it's a whopper of a section of land. I've only been through about maybe 6 acres of 175. But some was farm fields now grown over and pretty much impossible to detect because of the underbrush.

Ed/ODF

(10-01-2015 05:40 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Like the pics, Ed, but, not sure on one point...

IMO, don't think you should've written the exec dir. asking for clarification on metal detecting ground rules. You're professional in your actions, respect the land, etc. How much of a disturbance would you be? Obviously, if you start to see activity afoot (backhoes, workmen, etc.) you would know not to be on the premises, but it's empty now. Further...

The city told you to "knock yourself out", which figures as a green light, in my book.

I feel you were already in the clear, but by writing this "executive", you're basically asking to be told no, which is often what happens under these circumstances. They get a random letter, and immediately think; "Hmmm, some nut wants to look for treasure on this property. I better say no, as it could be a liability issue."

Unless somewhere is CLEARLY prohibited (cemetery, historical area, etc.), I think one is best served simply ASSUMING it's okay to detect, and potentially be told "no" later, than to ask beforehand, and be served with rejection.

You were told to knock yourself out. As long as you have that person's permission, you're doing nothing wrong, so no need for a clarification of the "rules" Yes

Sorry for the rant, but don't want to see you get the heave-ho, when you're simply looking to enjoy a hobby, like the rest of us. We are under attack.

Joe
Reference URL's