Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: # 66 AND "I'm singing in the rain!!!"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ

Bundled up baby and went for a stroll in the woods to an area I have been doing pretty good at. About half way through the hunt I saw a bottle and thought it was a clear beer bottle. I left it alone because only a portion of the side was sticking up through the leaves. Just to the left of it, about 8 inches, I was getting this really high tone but the numbers were not right. I couldn't get anything over an 00-27 and it wrang mostly a flat 00-26 but very small. So I dug it up. Well out comes a 1896 Barber quarter. Okay, so I re-sweep the spot and I'm getting this 16-08 nickel signal right over the bottle. So I pull out the bottle. It's not a beer bottle as I originally thought. And I can see a portion of some kind of stopper in the bottle with a little wire in it. Into the pouch it goes. Re-sweep and I get a pretty good 8-06, 9-06 signal about 4 inches to the right of the bottle. Could be a nickel, could be a headstamp. Out pops a what I think is a 1889 V nickel.

The bottle is vintage 1907 or 12. Got to do more research on that date. It's an Aqua blob top, Hutchinson Spring stopper, George Schmuck, Registered, Cleveland, O., C.& Co. 5, soda bottle, which had been popular from the 1840's and 50's although the Hutchinson Stopper mechanism was patented in 1879.

Here's a close match:
http://www.hutchbook.com/Bottle%20Direct...ber=OH0387

So this is a rare find and needs more research. I'll update you as time goes on.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Now that the rain has stopped for you guys there in the East, GO GET EM!!

Ed/ODF
Exquisite barber, and a AWESOME bottle, Ed. I haven't dug/found that many nice bottles, so that would make my day. Now that the temps have cooled off, and we've gotten some much needed rain, your inspiring posts have me itching to run into some woods Yes

Joe
Nice quarter Ed Yes

Love the blob top bottle too!
Ed,odf beautiful finds for sure, congratulations! You really are hitting a good area.
Good luck on your upcoming vistis there.

Me I am in for four days of babby sitting so detecting is on hold.
A very nice bottle indeed,  Ed. And a great story too
Great digs Ed. More big silver in your pouch. I love that bottle. I dig those Hutchinson pop tops alot, but not the bottles. Just broken ones. I do like digging the tops anyway. They're better than pulltabs.
Reference URL's