Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: 1912 V and Misc!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No snow, no rain. Windy, overcast and cold mostly. Checked out a new area I've been looking at on maps for about 2 weeks. (Or, went exploring like I usually do.) Didn't expect to find many spots to hunt but there were a couple areas that were small that I decided to try. First one was actually about 100 yards South of my targeted map location. Could be aerial perspective had something to do with it. Anyway, I get in about 30 feet from the trail onto this section of flat higher ground about 200 feet deep and maybe 100 foot wide and I get this high tone kinda jumpy headstamp signal. I dig it and out pops this 1912 V. Then I find some puddled lead about 3 feet away. Then the 22 Magnum Peters shell casing about 5 feet away, then a rolled up section of lead. So I'm pretty interested in this area now. I spend another hour or so there and turn up what appears to be a bone handled pocket knife in three pieces, about 9 inches down, a Curtis key just below the surface and a spent 30 cal. soft point jacketed bullet at around 4 inches. The chain link came from another area as I was walking the trail back to the car. All of this was about a mile in from my starting point. The second area didn't pan out as it turned out to be overburden from the river nearby. But the first area was, by aerial shots, about 200 yards south of what all used to be farmland, and remains wooded today. So I got lucky on a hunch. There is another large plateau area about 1/4 mile south of that point with some really big trees and what looks like pretty flat ground, but by then I wasn't in the mood to hump up a 90 foot embankment covered with leaves, so maybe I'll tackle that the next time.

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Sweet finds Ed!! I have yet to find anything that's older than a 42 wheat. Love the pics though, makes me want to brave the cold and dig some holes!!!
Nice nickel Ed. You really are a hiking dude.
(10-18-2015 08:43 PM)PittsburghWill Wrote: [ -> ]Nice nickel Ed. You really are a hiking dude.

Yeah, I love hiking in the woods Will. But I forget about time and don't look at the clock. I've gotten in pretty deep then have had to double time it back to the truck to beat the dark. Now with the time change coming and it getting dark earlier I'm going to have to pay a little more attention to the clock and bring a fully charged flashlight. Summer spoils me so! I get so lost in the signals sometimes I forget about time. I guess it's the endorphins kicking in like a long distance runner!!!! Yes Chuckle

Today I set marker limits. Like, "I'll hike to that set of tall trees in the distance and see what's there.", always looking back to see how far I'd gone from the last position. I almost got lost last Fall in over 1000 acres of trees, river valleys and cliffs on an overcast, rainy day. I'm a tough SOB, but I was scared that day. And I mean upset scared. Was praying I didn't have to call the Rangers to come find my ass. Wandered around for about 6 hours until I got my bearings and found a way out just before dark. Then had to walk about 5 miles back, on known roads, around the forest, to get to my truck. Haven't been back to that area since. Sad

Ed/ODF

(10-18-2015 08:31 PM)Padiggydirt Wrote: [ -> ]Sweet finds Ed!! I have yet to find anything that's older than a 42 wheat. Love the pics though, makes me want to brave the cold and dig some holes!!!

It's just a matter of time Pa! And swinging that coil.

Ed/ODF
Sweet hunt, Ed Yes V's are really hard to find here, for some reason, and yes, I do dig those mid tones...provided they're deep. If I get one or two per year, that's good for around here. Love the pocket knives, too Happy

Joe
Ed\odf, nice digs man love those V nickles.
I never heard that saying - puddled lead, interesting but very descriptive.
Good luck when you go back there
Any time you find a 100+ year old coin is a great day! But to make it a V nic also that is even better.
Reference URL's