Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Unexpected #68 Barber Dime & interesting stuff!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know what's going on with 1912's this week but it is what it is. I headed for those woods I get lost in and tried to stay close to the road. Well, at least 300 yards close. I found a real nice set of woods with fingering plateaus, big trees and a boatload of shotgun headstamps, shell casings and bullets, both round flattened and 22 cal.

I was interested in the foil I found first. Not often you find foil out in the woods. Unless the Raccoons were having a field day or those bipedal creatures like ourselves were there having lunch. Then I noticed something about the foil. It wasn't Deb's Kitchen Alcoa off the roll, but stiffer and had an odd round shape and crinkles around the edges. It then dawned on me that this was a foil cap to an old milk bottle,(circa 1920 to 40's). Like those big old round milk bottles. So I started doing circles. I get this real small, high mid tone pitch, five feet away, showing a 7-03, 11-03. Well, who knows, ....dig it, you've never been here before. It's some kind of gilt ring piece or pin. So holy cow! What else is here?

Spent a good deal of time searching that area with no other luck. So I start working the woods on the edges of the ravine drop offs. Headstamps and the usual. I think, "Where would there be a good place to cross this ravine?". After a while I find a place. Easy going from side to side and the other side has kind of a large flattened area before it continues upward. So I sweep all the way down to just about the bottom of my side and just at the break to level ground before the small stream, I get a 3-27, 4-26 high tone. I'm thinking some kind of bottle cap, because I'm a pessimist at heart! I dig it and OMG, it's a 1925 Wheat. I hammer the area at this point. Few more headstamps, and at the top of the flat area on the other side, about along the edge, just before you make another 10 foot rise to the next plateau, I get this screamer 3-28 high tone. I don't believe it, of course, because 10 ga. headstamps are pretty loud too. I dig it. Oh My Dear Lord it's a 1912 Barber dime!!!

I went to this area to see what I could find. To Test the area. I test a lot of areas. I never, ever, expected this. (.) This is only a small part of 1000 acres of forest in the flipping boonies!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Hey woodsy, terrific find, congratulation! And thanks for your intuitive reasoning on the foil. I believe your right. I have found those and never gave it a second thought.
That's a beauty, Ed, and another to your ever-growing collection. Gonna start heading into the woods here soon, too. From the sharp details, I'd guess that barber was dropped not long after going into circulation.

Solid hunt, and I enjoy your play-by-play of the action Yes

Joe
Nice going Ed. I love when Barbers come out of the ground in great shape like yours. Gerry
That's it. After I get the house leveled I am going to the woods, rain or shine!!!! Nice finds Ed, the silver gods looked down and said,what the heck.....lol
Nice finds Ed Yes

Beer
Reference URL's