Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Woodsy at it again today!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nothing to really show for it except some discoveries and some nice pics of Ohio in the Fall. That one sky shot is from me laying down on a big log to rest my achin' back, have a sip or two of some water and enjoy the view! Those chains in that pic are 25 feet off the ground on that Hickory. I got no idea how they got there but did find a few large nails about. The campfire ring is one of 2 I found about 30 feet apart and both at 10 or 12 feet feet from the hickory!
Enjoy!!!!Happy

Ed/ODF
Nice pics, Ed. You've got a good eye, the way you put all of the pieces together at a site. That chain is sure baffling, any ideas?

I'm have a great fall, but it would be better if we got some damn rain, and the temps cooled off. It was almost EIGHTY here today! Don't like that crap. Give me 50 to 65 with a breeze and I'm a happy camper.

What's the deal with your back? Could be that wallet with the big heap of cash in it, in your pocket. Might be throwing your balance off Chuckle

Joe
I think the chain is from Raccoon traps set up on trees where the coon dogs can chase them. I have to call a cooner friend of mine and ask. Otherwise it may have been a chain left on the ground that the tree grew through. As to my back, the only thing in my wallet is moths and my renewed driver's license. The damn sling pack with 2 bottles of water and all the crap I carry is killing me. My back is fine otherwise. But that's 4 hours of humping it in the woods. Pictures are pretty. Getting there is half the battle. And I'm probably going to get a small backpack to even out the load. I'll be able to carry more food too! Happy

Ed/ODF
I hate carrying $hit...period. Don't know how you do it. When I'm on a hunt, here's my set-up...

One knee pad on my right knee, as I kneel on that one when digging. My finds pouch on the right side hooked on my belt, my Pro-pointer on the left side on my belt. I carry my digger in my left hand, while I swing with my right hand. That's it, aside from a bag with a bottle of Gatorade or water & some snacks, which I'll hide behind a bush or tree while I'm detecting.

Some sonofabitch stole my bottled water at my spot 2 weeks ago! It ain't exactly the Ritz, the places I'm hunting Tongue

Joe
(10-25-2015 08:07 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I hate carrying $hit...period. Don't know how you do it. When I'm on a hunt, here's my set-up...

One knee pad on my right knee, as I kneel on that one when digging. My finds pouch on the right side hooked on my belt, my Pro-pointer on the left side on my belt. I carry my digger in my left hand, while I swing with my right hand. That's it, aside from a bag with a bottle of Gatorade or water & some snacks, which I'll hide behind a bush or tree while I'm detecting.

Some sonofabitch stole my bottled water at my spot 2 weeks ago! It ain't exactly the Ritz, the places I'm hunting Tongue

Joe

Hah! Welcome to New Jersey! Ain't got that problem around here! My problem is getting 1/2 mile into the woods and seeing a sign that says, "Coyote Habitat Area", with the listed precautions and things to do if you meet up with one or a pack. Now I realize why I don't see any deer!!!! I don't carry, pepper spray yes, but I thought it was skunks I had to worry about, or copperheads and rattlesnakes. Now they throw me Coyotes!

I know how to handle it though, throw them a couple of protien bars!

Ed/ODF! aka: wild dogmeat, not woodsman!Sad
Ed\odf, cool photos for sure, colors are coming into view here in NJ and they are beautiful.

My opinion on the chains is - they are the rements of a tree stand or tree chair for hunting deer
(10-26-2015 08:40 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed\odf, cool photos for sure, colors are coming into view here in NJ and they are beautiful.

My opinion on the chains is - they are the rements of a tree stand or tree chair for hunting deer

That's actually a very good guess, and quite likely, as I can't seem to think of too many other reasons why a chain would be in a tree. Nice call Yes

Joe
(10-26-2015 08:40 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed\odf, cool photos for sure, colors are coming into view here in NJ and they are beautiful.

Well Tony, I'll never exactly know. I did talk to my buddy, "Clancy the Coon Man", and he's never heard of setting traps up in trees, and that it would be totally illegal in Ohio, because it may trap squirrels and climbing bird species. He said, "It had to have been some kind of tree stand!". So I consider you the winner on this one! And I have to agree. Chains, with that piece of wood hanging from one of them, must have been a makeshift tree stand/chair of sorts. And man Tony, there were a lot of big old rusted 20D nails about the base of that tree. Too bad they didn't lose any silver after a 3/4 mile hump into the woods! I'll go back. But it'll be a while. Maybe in the Spring.

Thanks for your's and Joe's liking of the pics. This camera in this phone "SUCKS" except under certain lighting conditions. I'm going to look for a good camera to take with me this Winter. I used to be a Nikon or M Leica guy back in the days of film. Little out of budget now for digital.

Ed/ODF
No problem Ed\odf, those nails make it a dead give away, probably from someone building a wooden ladder on the tree.
Out here and every once in awhile someone falls out of a tree stand while deer hunting and that ain't good at all. Some guys don't survive the fall.
Good luck out there - we are still waiting for the rain to come this week. IT dried up again and the grass needs as bad as us detectorists
Reference URL's