Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: # Sixty Nine!!!! Real clean 1919 Merc!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Past three days has been pretty ho hum in the detecting arena! About killed myself hiking around at that new spot where I got that 1912s Barber and the 98 IHP with absolutely nothing to show for it other than more headstamps.

So today I said I'm taking a break and going back to old faithful. Now I just don't know how this happens but about three quarters the way through the 2.5 hours that I was in the woods, I decide I'll go to an area that I've hammered the hell out of. Just for giggles, because I was having absolutely no luck around the rest of the place. I'm not even there five minutes, over a spot I know I've hit again and again, and I get this screamer like a can top signal blowing a 3-29, 4-29, 7-29, 3-28 digital. I figure it's can top or clad dime on the surface under the leaves. I even do a hover test and I'm still getting blown away. Okay, I'm not too tired to dig it so I do. 2 inches down in the clay, face up, still stuck in the ball of dried clay, a 1919 Merc. So I'm happy, but I think to myself that I might have passed this up several times before because I thought it was a can top.

So dig the can tops fellas, ya never know what you'll get!

Have fun out there and HAPPY HUNTING!

Ed/ODF
Nice merc Ed. Great shape. Gerry
Now that puppy is in pristine condition! When I'm out in the woods, I tend to dig almost everything aside from iron, even overload/potential can lid hits, but after a couple hours of that, I tend to start cherry picking, due to frustration/exertion. So, I probably miss some stuff, but, damn, those can lids are a major PITA!

Gonna have to start calling you "The Woodsman!"

Joe
(10-26-2015 07:30 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Now that puppy is in pristine condition! When I'm out in the woods, I tend to dig almost everything aside from iron, even overload/potential can lid hits, but after a couple hours of that, I tend to start cherry picking, due to frustration/exertion. So, I probably miss some stuff, but, damn, those can lids are a major PITA!

Gonna have to start calling you "The Woodsman!"

Joe

Honest to God Joe how right you are about the can tops. I dig sometimes as many of those as I do headstamps because in some areas of the woods it must have been party central. And after the first two hours I start to get really tired or as you say exertion takes it's toll. So I pass em up because of just that. If it passes the hover test I'll dig it, but sometimes I just don't have the strength to do even that. I just swing my way back to the truck hoping for a high tone. Maybe I'm not hydrating enough? I know I'm watering the trees for plenty, for sure! LOL!

Ed/ODF
Ed\odf, I do the same thing on loud signals, a hover test....too funny. I am glad yours paid off, congratulations!
I too get tired - in my case it is age - I get tired and don't stop and rest during the hunt. I plan on it but don't seem to sit and take five every now and then.
(10-26-2015 08:32 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Ed\odf, I do the same thing on loud signals, a hover test....too funny. I am glad yours paid off, congratulations!
I too get tired - in my case it is age - I get tired and don't stop and rest during the hunt. I plan on it but don't seem to sit and take five every now and then.

You're right Tony. I'm hitting the big 65 on Monday next. I still think I'm a kid, running around the woods like I do. I'm going to have to make a pledge to myself that I'm taking 5 or 10 every hour and stick with it. I ordered a drop leg pouch that is exactly the same thing as my sling pack and then ordered a nice wide military belt and am going to take the whole thing to a tailor and make adjustments so I can have a nicely sized belt pouch for my excursions in the Winter months, without the sling pack crushing my chest and back after 3 or 4 hours in the woods. That sling pack is great, but after you start loading it up with all the trash, man Tony, it starts getting heavy. I sling over my right shoulder and the weight is to my left. I'm a righty by nature and ambidextrous overall but I keep EVERYTHING in the sling pouch. With the basics it's pulling around 10#'s. Once it's weighted up with trash I can easily be slinging 15 to 20#'s of stuff. When I get this new outfit together I'll post it and show you guys what I did. But breaks are important for old guys like us. Better to be safe than dog meat for some Coyote!

Ed/ODF
Ed\odf, your right too, that is a good amount to add to a back pack. I was thinking of using a back pack to carry a different coils but haven't done so yet. If my pouch gets heavy I look to unload it but if you are off on a long trek in the woods then you really can't do that. You are keeping the scrap man happy while getting your exercise.

I hope you get a great keeper on your next hunt to make next Monday even more special.
Nice one!
Nice looking dime right there!! Congrats!
Nice Merc! Your right, that's a beautiful coin! Once I thought it was a can signal and it was a Silver quarter close to the surface. Thanks for reminding us you really don't know until you unearth it. Good luck on your next hunts too!
Reference URL's