Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Made of iron - very heavy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I wasn't able to upload this in my last post, just too busy with stuff and things.

The last time I was out I decided to dig an overload and found this heavy iron pointed piece. The shaft is round and the top appears to be a cone arrow shape.

Was it on a post? Was it part of a fence? Was it on top of a pole?
Why did I find it in the grass at a park a few feet form the side walk and about three inches down? There isn't any iron fences at all in this park.
After I removed it I was able to detect a clad dime about an inch or two away from the hole I was hoping for a silver but not this time.
Sure does look like a wrought iron finial for a fence post. You found it near a sidewalk? Maybe it was part of an old fence that lined the lot. Lot of those wrought iron fences surrounded mansions from the early 20th century. How many times has the property changed hands? Have you access to the county records for it?

Ed/ODF
Ed\odf, I was trying to think of that word - finial -

You are probably right.

This is a city park and has been since before I was a boy.

Oh maybe it was part of the fill dirt that was used to create the park.My research has it that the dirt came from Long Island. Crazy I know (all the way to NJ) must have been a political boondoggle or similar to "it's not what you know but who you know".
petrified shroom??? Sorry, but the hash pipe thing just couldn't stop with odf's post....lol
Not sure, but you might want to clean it using electrolysis. Maybe then you will be able to identify. Let us know if you find out. I'm leaning toward part of a fence or some kind of anchoring bolt.
Peterified shroom is a possibility.

I'll have to try the electrollosys method, that sounds like a good idea.

Ed\odf, my research came from talking to the local historical society. I might ask them about the fence thing, they might know more details.
Reference URL's