Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A small piece of big silver :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this in a park today using my E-trac with the stock coil, running wide open with auto-sens. So close!!  This came out the park I've been hunting the last 4-5 days. I'll have to go look for the rest of it when I get a chance.I'm not sure what this is.
[attachment=6705]
Cool little piece of silver--at least you got a date!!
I think I figured out what it is...a 1893 Mexican 8 real. I found a picture and the the area around the date matches almost exactly.   I found a piece of 8 Happy
[attachment=6727]
wow cool find and great research to figure it out. Good luck on getting more of those pieces.
That is a great find Dan! Good eye on the research as well! A Mexican coin was the furthest thing from my mind until you posted that Libertad. Good luck finding any other pieces!

Ed/ODF
I was looking at the edges, it looks to have been cut on purpose. The cuts are very straight. I thought maybe a mower hit it, I don't think so. I'm only 90 miles from the southern border, I'm hoping to find similar items.
Man, that is a killer find! As Ron said, I think you got the best piece, as the date is so clear & sharp. I'd blanket that area very well, as god only knows what else is bound to show up. Beautiful silvers!

Joe
Awesome find! More awesome is your research skillz! I tried to figure it out, but I gave up. I did not think there was enough there to identify. Hope you find the other pieces. HH!
Thank you. It was a process of elimination. I thought it was a Morgan, but the numbers didn't match or the marking above the date. Then I googled 1893 Mexican silver coins and up pooped the 8 Real and the marking were a match. I did give myself a big pat on the back Happy
Sweet save!!! Mexican silver is on my bucket list!
Reference URL's