Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: GoldBug Pro Mod a Success
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This summer I did a mod to my GBP.
I like flipping a toggle switch to go from all metal mode to disc mode without having to change any settings.
The GBP has a single control knob that switches between the two modes. The control doubles as the all metal threshold control. What that means is if you have your threshold set for all metal mode, you have to come out of adjustment and turn the control full CCW to activate the on/off switch to switch between modes.

That's a big headache as I like using both modes to help determine a target at times. Or just to switch back and forth.

What I did was open up the control box and just snip the switching lead posts apart that connect from the control pot to the circuit board. Bend those leads away from the pot a bit and solder two wires to those two leads. The wires then get soldered to the two leads on a toggle switch.

The mod works great, I like it. A few others since then have made the mode as well to their GBP.
[attachment=6715]
Neat little trick Sven! Anything that keeps your time down fooling with controls is a winner in my book. Although I've been tempted to open up my SE Pro and poke around, because it's out of warranty anyway, I think I'll pass until I know a little more about it.

Ed/ODF
Sven, nice mod, you really know your electronics
Nice work! You're like the MacGuyver of metal detectors! Here's a good question for you...

If that mod makes like easier - and I agree it does - why don't the damn manufacturers assemble them that way?

Joe
Added parts and wires and have to manually assemble in the case of the GBP, would take too much time. Time is money. Think Fisher was keeping things simple as it was basically made a  gold prospecting machine originally with the least amount of manually operated controls.
To clear up several questions how the mod was done:
Attached is a  a picture.
Just snip the two leads coming from the Threshold/Disc pot on the black line. The pot switch is now disconnected from the circuit board.
Bend the stand up leads away from the pots leads. Solder wires from a toggle switch to the stand up leads. Your done.

You just need to be careful not to strip the control box screws that hold the faceplate and back together.

Take out the battery before doing the mod.

Carefully put the faceplate back in place when done. Do not pinch the ribbon cable. There is a round ferrite core with wires running thru it, make sure it fits back in place so the faceplate will fit flush with the back. It seems to always get in the way.

[attachment=6753]
Reference URL's