Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Beach Hunter ID Headphone Fix
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Got tired of waiting for a response from Whites about some Beach Hunter ID parts.
Apparently some they won't even sell me, have to use the service center who would do
any and all BH repairs. Then I was told the unit is no longer guaranteed to be waterproof...LOL

Can't even get replacement lugs from them for my headphones. We all know how terrible there are and break after awhile.
By the way, its hard getting lots of items here in Canada, like pulling teeth.

Just restored my BH, all new seals, tightened all pots up and used waterproof sealer. Water is not getting thru the pots or switches.
As long as I had it apart decided to install two new waterproof bulkhead fittings for the coil and headphone cable. As well as attach a
connector to the coil and headphone cable so I can remove them as well as switch search coils at will. Everything is going to be mounted on a straight shaft
that I already fitted the box to. Makes it super lightweight feeling, swing all day.

Back to the headphones, had to resort to a McGuyver fix'em up.
First opened up the cups.
Heated up a nut with a small heat gun, pushed a nut in from the outside. Now is permanently in place.
Inserted a screw with a washer up against the head from the inside and red Loctite in place.
Snapped the headphone parts back together.
Grabbed some alum. C channel I has in my parts box, cut off two pcs.
Slipped them over the headphone bracket, placed it on top of my head over a hat. Slipped the ear cups along side the bracket over my head into a position that felt comfortable.
Marked the brackets and alum. mounts where the screws lined up to. Took them off.
Drilled one hole into each mount, slide them back onto the headphone bracket and drilled one hole into it from the back side of the mount being used as a drill guide.
Then assembled it all together with a couple rubber washers, steel washer and a knob to tighten it up.
It fits perfect. What is also nice, if you loosen the knobs, you can adjust the ear cup angles.

[attachment=6728]
[attachment=6729]
[attachment=6730]
[attachment=6731]
You don't fool around with tech when you need to do something Sven, that's a big for sure! It's great that you post this stuff as many of us just give up and order a new one. Your innovation and ability is an inspiration to me especially because I love to tinker with stuff. I have 2 room fans, made in China, which have now lasted over 15 years because I refuse to throw them away and get new ones. I just replace parts from fans I find in the dumpster here at the apartment complex and rework the innards, clean them up spic and span and turn them on. Innovation seems to be the Canadian way as well. Bravo!

Ed/ODF
Sven, another terrific tutorial Yes I know you do this work purely out of your love for the hobby & necessity, however, I'd seriously consider contacting some of the manufacturers, and seeing if you can become some type of authorized repair/mod person for their respective brands. Fact is...

Many units fall out of warrantee, are no longer serviced due to age, or manufacturers simply cannot fulfill modifications. I would think they'd jump at the chance to have a guy like you whom they can refer their customers to, for aftermartket tech/repair/mod issues.

You'd get to work from home, at your leisure, would most likely make a competetive salary, and would be doing something you enjoy. A win all the way around Yes

There are very few guys who have the smarts (or stomaches) to do this type of stuff. Would be a coup for a manufacturer to have you onboard, and from a customer standpoint, it would be extremely convenient having a go-to guy for these types of matters.

Joe
I agree, Sven is a professional. His repairs are better than the original design. His craftsmanship is supreme! I enjoy reading his post on modifications and recoveries. Sven thank you!
(10-30-2015 07:10 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Sven, another terrific tutorial Yes I know you do this work purely out of your love for the hobby & necessity, however, I'd seriously consider contacting some of the manufacturers, and seeing if you can become some type of authorized repair/mod person for their respective brands. Fact is...

Many units fall out of warrantee, are no longer serviced due to age, or manufacturers simply cannot fulfill modifications. I would think they'd jump at the chance to have a guy like you whom they can refer their customers to, for aftermartket tech/repair/mod issues.

You'd get to work from home, at your leisure, would most likely make a competetive salary, and would be doing something you enjoy. A win all the way around Yes

There are very few guys who have the smarts (or stomaches) to do this type of stuff. Would be a coup for a manufacturer to have you onboard, and from a customer standpoint, it would be extremely convenient having a go-to guy for these types of matters.

Joe

Thanks, not an electronics engineer, mostly self taught, enough to be dangerous. With analog circuits and standard size electronic components I am good. Digital programmed circuits not a clue, SMT (micro parts on detectors these day) too small to deal with or try and replace. They are assembled with robots at most plants and not repaired at the factory, thrown away and replaced with a new board. Much cheaper time, labor, cost wise.

Seriously I would have to get an electronics engineering degree to understand all the math that's involved in electronic circuitry. I can design, assemble, test and debug and do analog repairs. Just not a degreed pro who can find the problem in 10 minutes, I could take hours. So as a hobby, I can be dangerous with analog stuff.

I help who I can with what I know or refer them to another. Keith Wills in Texas at BrokenDetectors.comĀ  is one of the best you'll find who can repair just about any detector. Especially if you a vintage machine, he has parts or can get them from his detector junk yard.
(10-30-2015 10:02 AM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2015 07:10 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Sven, another terrific tutorial Yes I know you do this work purely out of your love for the hobby & necessity, however, I'd seriously consider contacting some of the manufacturers, and seeing if you can become some type of authorized repair/mod person for their respective brands. Fact is...

Joe

Thanks, not an electronics engineer, mostly self taught, enough to be dangerous. With analog circuits and standard size electronic components I am good. Digital programmed circuits not a clue, SMT (micro parts on detectors these day) too small to deal with or try and replace. They are assembled with robots at most plants and not repaired at the factory, thrown away and replaced with a new board. Much cheaper time, labor, cost wise.

Seriously I would have to get an electronics engineering degree to understand all the math that's involved in electronic circuitry. I can design, assemble, test and debug and do analog repairs. Just not a degreed pro who can find the problem in 10 minutes, I could take hours. So as a hobby, I can be dangerous with analog stuff.

I help who I can with what I know or refer them to another. Keith Wills in Texas at BrokenDetectors.comĀ  is one of the best you'll find who can repair just about any detector. Especially if you a vintage machine, he has parts or can get them from his detector junk yard.

I'm familiar with Keith. Like you, he's another guy with a genius mind for that stuff.

Interesting point on the digital aspect, and the robotics. Do you think the robots assembling these new digital units are MORE prone to error, or less? I would think there's a greater degree of precision with the robotics, but more attention to detail & troubleshooting finesse when assembled/fixed by human hands.

Reading between the lines, Sven, it's a hobby you do for enjoyment...you don't want it to become a job, lol. That's true. Do anything enough - even if it's a blast - and it tends to become work Happy

Joe
It takes a robot a nano second to place a SMT part on a circuit board, in your cell phone there's hundreds of SMT parts. Can be built by a robot in several minutes.
For a human to build something like that, you would need a microscope, steady hands etc, and it would take hours and hours to complete. And its easy for a human to pick up a 3.3K resistor instead of a 33K if each part is not checked for correct value. Even electronics engineers who assembly a larger component part circuit board make that error, not uncommon.

Imagine a human assembling a motherboard vs. robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdGW1xE6d_khttp://

My Kidney surgery this summer was done by robotics with human assistance guiding the machine. Good thing I was knocked out......looks like an alien abduction movie....
[Image: dbaz1112_0091-Op-Einheit-vier-Arme.jpg]
Wow, that is AMAZING!!! Yeah, kinda looks like the "Claws of Death" Chuckle Tongue

It's interesting. So many guy's talk about some of the older units being more accurate (the Blue & Grey's, etc.), that it makes one wonder...

Is all the digital stuff actually helping lead to deeper finds, or more accurately I.D.'d finds, or is it just for cosmetic reasons, or to help with speed?

There are some old hands out there who could take a 20 year old unit and work circles around someone using a newer machine.

Joe
Swen, thanks for sharing your mod\repair fix. Very good advice.

So my old Whites PI is still worth a few bucks, very cool
Reference URL's