Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Gloves For Detecting?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone have a preference for cold weather gloves that are not like wearing oven   mitts ? I know it's hard to have the best of both worlds, but something that you've found that works best for you.
Dollar Store Jersey knit gloves work ok when you wear two pairs. Or a thin pair of liner gloves inside them. Just don't get them wet.

Thin neoprene gloves like those worn by bicycle riders inside the Jersey gloves
work.

Or leather  golf gloves. Great in the summer.

We have Tractor Supply Stores here, they carry a large assortment of leather work, garden gloves that are not that expensive. They are flexible and seams are on the inside. I picked up a number of excellent pairs last spring when they went on sale, 50% off.

Some chain saw gloves are superb, worth looking at them. I picked up a really nice pair of goat skin Husqvarna gloves.

This gives you a wide variety to try out at the store that are all possibles.
I have this 2 pair set and they are FABULOUS for winter hunts. Insulated and waterproof! Only thing about them is if you are perspiring (because of humping up and down ravines, etc...) they retain the moisture your hands give off. I keep one set down on the hump of my truck by the floor heat vents and swap them out when needed. And if you actually wash them in the washing machine, you have to let them sit out for about a week so they'll dry inside. Other than that, they are toasty warm, flexible and $cheap$!!!!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/i...?a=1808382

Ed/ODF
Nice looking winter gloves ODF, I might even need a pair for sunny Florida this winter. Sven pointed out seams on the inside. This really makes a difference on their longevity. I prefer seams on inside, really a must...
Ed\ odf those look real good but I am not into camo anything.

NC Miner, a good pair I had were Whites (metal detecting company) leather gloves - they last a real long time too.
Now I use gloves from ether shop rite or Lowes. I go for cotton top and coated vinly on the fingers. They hold up real good and are warm but not water proof.
These are probabluy the same ones folks buy in dollar stores or Harbour Frieght.
The gold standard for me, was the "Mechanix" brand gloves I used a couple of years back. Perfect. Real thin, lightweight & extra durable. Unfortunately, their price was insane. Something like $15 or $20. So, I just use any cheapie rubber nitrile palmed gloves I find around in the dollar stores. Nitrile palmed is the key, as they are quite durable, and stand up to wet conditions fairly well. I tried the knit ones before, and, while good, if you get'm wet, it's mighty uncomfortable.

Check the hardware/tools/automotive sections at the chain dollar stores, as they always have them. Or, places like Harbor Freight sometimes have good deals on packs of them.

Joe
Put your regular detecting gloves on ( I use a variety of cheap vinyl coated ones) and then get a pair of these to put over them http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Convertib...LL_PRODUCT They will keep you warm until you dig and you have your normal dexterity back as you need it.
Joe got the name correct - rubber nitrile - they are very good. I started using them this spring. Make sure you try them on before you buy to get a comfortable size
Reference URL's