Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Underground Tombs Found in NYC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been through Washington Square countless times over the years. Would've never thought this was under my feet.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/05/vault-full-...uare-park/

Joe
That is a good story Joe! And that's just NYC! Imagine what is under your feet in Egypt, Italy, Greece and China, to name a few. I think that if we make it as a civilization we'll eventually find so much stuff from the past it will be mind boggling!

Ed/ODF
Interesting story-- nice to see they will leave it undisturbed. But in another few hundred years someone will dig it up as a "Historic Find" and have no regard to the fact that it is the FINAL resting place.

Look at all the grave robbing archies in Egypt!! Kings and Queens were buried in their FINAL resting place and then end up in someone's museum! Corrupt country for sure.
They can dig up graves but no one can metal detect a beach for a recent drop.

Sorry--that is my rant for the day!!

Thanks for sharing Joe!
(11-06-2015 02:39 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting story-- nice to see they will leave it undisturbed. But in another few hundred years someone will dig it up as a "Historic Find" and have no regard to the fact that it is the FINAL resting place.

Look at all the grave robbing archies in Egypt!! Kings and Queens were buried in their FINAL resting place and then end up in someone's museum! Corrupt country for sure.
They can dig up graves but no one can metal detect a beach for a recent drop.

Sorry--that is my rant for the day!!

Thanks for sharing Joe!

You're preaching to the choir, the only archie I like is friends with Jughead Yes

I would never begrudge anyone for going out, getting their education, and doing something they love, archeologists included, however, what gives them the right to say we can't enjoy our hobby?! Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot?

I said it here before, and I'll say it again...that is precisely why that DIGGERS show brought on an archie, they needed to appease an angry crowd fast, or risk losing a cash cow for the station and the manufacturers. Whether we like them or not, they are an influential group, and hold a lot of sway. I'm actually ambivalent towards them, except when they come trotting out with their crap that nobody else is entitled to dig dirt anywhere in the world, except for them.

Joe
Thanks for the story Joe, I had just seen a small clip on the news about this site.

Man, it is deep - the really old stuff is deep - why they make a big deal about recreational detecting is beyond comprehension.

Most we dig is - what 12 inches and that isn't always the situation, mostly it is less then that depth
(11-07-2015 02:46 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the story Joe, I had just seen a small clip on the news about this site.

Man, it is deep - the really old stuff is deep - why they make a big deal about recreational detecting is beyond comprehension.

Most we dig is - what 12 inches and that isn't always the situation, mostly it is less then that depth

Yep. If I have to dig down almost a foot for a merc or barber (which is the norm around here, barring rare exceptions), imagine how deep the colonial era stuff is. That's one of the reasons I'm always amazed watching Ron's videos. They're pulling out stuff from the early/mid 1800's at a few inches deep, mostly due to how hard the soil is. Stuff probably doesn't sink much, if at all.

That's why most of the really old (1600's & 1700's) stuff here is usually only found during construction or excavation, it's too deep for detectors. If they ever ripped up the surface of Manhattan, one can just imagine what's there.

Joe
Reference URL's