Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Thump sound using Explorer or other machines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone ever recieved a "Thump sound" while detecting?
I have several times and many of them I have passed up - leaving myself wondering if I missed a target.
This week I read a post on using the Excaliubur II - and it read that if your threshold changes by itself then lower your sensitivity and re-check that target.
Well yesterday while detecting I got a "thump sound" and lowered my sensitivity a few and re-checked the target. The machine gave a clear hit on a penny, I dug down about five inches and there was a memorial cent.
In the past sometimes I used pinpoint and recover the target but many times I just walked away.

Has this sound entered your ear phones and you passed it up, or have a different solution?
Nope. Never heard that Tony. But it could be a sensitivity issue. I used to crank it up when I first started to 28 or 30 but now I see the light of 18 to 22. Of course that's my mineral and ground conditions here. But I have my threshold so low that I sometimes have to listen for it. Maybe I have it too low!

Ed/ODF
That sound on an etrac is usually an indication of something on the edge of detection or something like a coin on edge.I will often go to quickmask to remove disc and retry those signals or go from auto to manual sensitivity and see if it becomes more pronounced. If it turns into a good enough repeatable signal I always dig them and often they are desirable targets. However I have also dug a lot of crap nonferrous stuff with those signals,,,plumbing fittings , car parts , door/window hardware...etc.
Second to what dusty said. When I had my Etrac I would get that sound too. I noticed it while doing airtests and I actually made a YouTube video of it making the sound because I was so confused. But yea.. It usually means something on the edge of detection.
(11-07-2015 09:01 AM)Dusty Wrote: [ -> ]That sound on an etrac is usually an indication of something on the edge of detection or something like a coin on edge.I will often go to quickmask to remove disc and retry those signals or go from auto to manual sensitivity and see if it becomes more pronounced. If it turns into a good enough repeatable signal I always dig them and often they are desirable targets. However I have also dug a lot of crap nonferrous stuff with those signals,,,plumbing fittings , car parts , door/window hardware...etc.

Exactly what Dusty said. On my Safari, that "thump" sound you mentioned is an indicator of something normally very deep, and needs to be inspected closely. Most times, if I go back over the thump/thud sound, especially from different angles, I usually get a very faint, soft signal. Now, this doesn't mean the target will be good, but it's telling you SOMETHING is in the ground, and very DEEP. It can turn out to be iron, junk...or a nice old coin/relic.

Some of the signals I dig are so faint/soft, it would be easy to walk right past them, if it wasn't for that thump sound.

Joe
Interesting replies and yes some of the stuff we dig is a part/scrap of some kind when we are expecting a coin, my pouch fills up with scrap brass and aluminum or copper.

The next time I get a "Thump" sound I will lower the sensitivity a few notches and re-check the target. I'll check back in if it happens again

Thanks for the ideas on the dark arts of Metal Detecting
Reference URL's