Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Coil sizes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As some of you may know, I am new to metal detecting(2 months.) I own a garret AT pro and would like to know whether or not as a beginner I should upgrade from the stock coil(9x12DD) to a 5x8 DD or a 4.5" sniper coil. I've done some research but would like some opinions on the matter. I do currently hunt in a lot of iron invested sites(home steads/farm steads/school houses.) 

Thanks, Zach
(11-08-2015 01:33 AM)ZachF2 Wrote: [ -> ]As some of you may know, i new to metal detecting(2 months.) I own a garret AT pro and would like to know whether or not as a beginner I should upgrade from the stock coil(9x12DD) to a 5x8 DD or a 4.5" sniper coil. I've done some research but would like some opinions on the matter. I do currently hunt in a lot of iron invested sites(home steads/farm steads/school houses.) 

Thanks, Zach

As a general rule, the junkier/trashier the site you're hunting, the smaller the coil needed. Detecting a trashy site is backbreaking work on it's own, using a big coil in this atmosphere will cause you to go mad. The smaller coils "see" through the trash better. You're able to weave in & out of it. You'll also need to slow down...a lot.

Bigger coils are for less trashy, wide open areas, where the junk isn't as concentrated.

IMO, if you can afford it, go for the sniper coil, as it'll really be used a lot. Especially since you said you hunt a lot of trashy locations Yes

Joe
Thanks for the quick reply and info Joe. It was kinda a bit to much for me as a beginner in a trashy area with a bigger coil..Was pretty confused and thinking my machine wasn't working correctly at times lol. So I for sure will be investing in the sniper coil! And for the other beginners like myself out there hunting in iron infested sites with bigger coils, don't blame the MD! Continue learning your machine(Google, Youtube.) and don't give up Happy
Smaller coils also have less depth. So the deeper small trash that keep sounding off with the larger coil will not be seen by the smaller coil. Makes for a quieter hunt using the sniper coils. And you may pick up the items being masked out by the deeper junk.

Only drawback is if your hunting a large school grounds etc. which your going to have a desire to cover most of it, won't happen. Find a spot and hunt slow, overlap your sweeps. Find the discipline to keep focused on hunting a smaller area at a slower pace than you may be used to when using a large coil.
Hi Zach if you got the AT Pro and want to buy a coil to help that detector, Your best bet is to get the 5 x 8 coil you will be surprise how nice it works. It is a great fit for the at pro make it really a smother working machine
Well Zach, since I put the 6x8 SEF coil on my SE Pro, I actually don't want to take it off. I do go back to the Pro 11" coil for a couple of days to see what happens and whammo, the 6x8 takes it's place really quick. The difference is quite amazing. So much so that I wish I could yet get a smaller coil.

But it's a good start, the 5x8 for your AT Pro. If you do what Sven says, and discipline yourself to it, you'll be flabbergasted by the results. It's not how much you swing, it's "How" you swing! Sometimes it takes me an hour to go 50 feet.

Ed/ODF
Thank you all for your input! I will be purchasing the 5x8 first and I'll let you know how it goes!
Im with Steveo, I had an AT Pro and to be honest with ya I felt the detector was lacking with the stock coil.  I made the decision to get the 5x8 and it absolutely  brought that detector to life!!!! You won't regret that purchase.  As a matter of fact when I put the 5x8 on, the stock coil never went back on!!!!  The best happy medium between the stock coil, and the sniper coil. Also I did not see any difference whatsoever in depth with the smaller coil.
Yeah small coils are great. I love them. They are lighter too. Much easier to swing around all day.
Reference URL's