Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: A real Good find Compass X-70
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Always wanted to try a Compass metal detector, never had the chance.
And over the past 5 years Compass metal detectors especially the x and Scanner series have been  getting the most attention. They have reached cult status that are bringing high prices when offered for sale in excellent cosmetic and working condition. It appeared my chances of ever obtaining one is going to be slim.
Ever since joining the one and only Compass Metal Detector Forum a number of years ago, kept my eye out and more or less figured it wasn't going to happen.

That changed about a week ago, spotted a listing with a Challenger x-70 for sale.
Appeared in really decent shape, price was low, very low. The owner said it was his grandfathers, they didn't think it worked. Not sure if they ever tested it by putting batteries in. If  they did, they probably couldn't get it to work not knowing what the controls do or how to set it up, plus it has a tilt switch. The tilt switch would make the detector speaker turn on and off when lifted horizontal or vertical. The tilt switch was in the on position when it arrived.

It  arrived last night, a bit dusty and overall looked in very nice shape even with the few paint chips here and there. Checked the battery tabs, they looked fine.

I was amazed how really light this detector feels, especially with the arm support.
Figured it was going to weigh like a Tank, as many of these vintage  Dinosaur detectors. It doesn't. That may soon change after the batteries are installed.

Just need some batteries and will see if it fires up. Hopefully it will.

[attachment=6786]

[attachment=6787]
COOL! Like old Ford tractors, some stuff never dies! Chuckle Be interesting to see what you can pull up with it. Looks almost like an early White's!

Ed/ODF
John Earle designed the Compass Challenger series and also worked who also went to work at White's. Similarities but, different features and functions.
Many considered the Compass Challengers better and deeper than the White's.
I grew up using White's and Garrett's model detectors. Should have taken the plunge. But, I know at that time I jumped into treasure hunting with scuba gear, so from 1982 to 1990 I missed out on using a lot of the newest greatest hi tech detectors. 

Will be interesting to check out the x-70
Well, even if it doesn't fire up, if anyone can bring the thing back to life, it's you Yes

It's amazing to think about, but, when one considers that detecting started seriously gaining ground as a hobby in the early 70's, in all that time, depth advancements have been sub-par. I mean, if a unit got 4" back in the mid 70's (which was about the norm...maybe even a bit generous), that was good enough, as everything was still on the surface. Since that time, we have picked up what, another 7 or 8"?

As a coin hunter who depends on depth & accurate VID at depth, thank god for the Minelab's, but still, I think detectors should be able to both punch deeper & i.d. better than they currently do. Yes, one can simply use a PI for more depth, but then you've basically gotta dig everything.

I think most of the major advancements have been made in the speed and/or separation departments. That's good for virgin type sites, or iron/junk laden spots, but that's it.

As Tom D. always says, it is beyond our wildest expectations what's down beyond the 16 to 18" depth strata.

Sven, in your opinion, what was the best overall detector of the 70's & 80's? I've heard very good things about the Mark's, the Compasses, the Red Barron's and a few others.

Joe
Well, the Compass fires up and appears stuck in all metal mode. Checking it out now. The solution may be that it will have to go to Keith Wills for fixing. He's the expert Compass fixer upper. Just I don't want to put any more money into this detector, probably put it up for auction.

When buying a old detector without actually seeing or testing it before the purchase, they are all a gamble. Many worth taking a gamble on. Ok for me, if I can get what I paid for it back upon selling.

I think most of the high end price bracket detectors made back then where somewhat on par depth wise. Some brands with more bells and whistles just did it a whole lot better. Without the internet back then, you went by what you read in the magazines. And what other owners would say about them or going by the finds. I know I was happy with what I was using back then and knew some detectors worked better in different soils and hunting situations.
For me during the  70's the Garrett's ADS Master Hunters found me more relics and older but fewer coins than lets say the White's. Found newer shallower coins with White's, didn't fair to well relic hunting. Fisher's were strong on Silver
coins. I liked the D-tex CK, SK, RS machines better than the Garrett's. When the 80's came around, the newer Fisher machines were the relic masters. Teknetics Mark 1 was the ultimate machine, I couldn't afford. Watched my friend just clean up with his coin hunting. At that point in time, I did not like the whip-me like a stick machines. When the Minelab Explorer came out, should have gotten one.
The guys who owned one were finding all the deep old coins, while we couldn't even pick those deepies up with the machines we thought were great.
Kind of gave up on land detecting right about 1982 for the most part. Bought a Garrett XL500 VLF/TR water machine looking for rings etc with scuba. Profitable and fun. Then discovered treasure in old bottles on land and in the water using scuba, much more profitable than detecting, plus all the cool relics you find while hunting the glass.

I think everyone will have a favorite from back then. Back then a different era of machines and technology that were all capable of delivering the goods, some better than others. Same as today, you just have a much bigger choice of what to buy and try, better knowledge base on detector performance etc. before you put your money out..........
(11-11-2015 08:39 PM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote: [ -> ]Well, the Compass fires up and appears stuck in all metal mode. Checking it out now. The solution may be that it will have to go to Keith Wills for fixing. He's the expert Compass fixer upper. Just I don't want to put any more money into this detector, probably put it up for auction.

When buying a old detector without actually seeing or testing it before the purchase, they are all a gamble. Many worth taking a gamble on. Ok for me, if I can get what I paid for it back upon selling.

I think most of the high end price bracket detectors made back then where somewhat on par depth wise. Some brands with more bells and whistles just did it a whole lot better. Without the internet back then, you went by what you read in the magazines. And what other owners would say about them or going by the finds. I know I was happy with what I was using back then and knew some detectors worked better in different soils and hunting situations.
For me during the  70's the Garrett's ADS Master Hunters found me more relics and older but fewer coins than lets say the White's. Found newer shallower coins with White's, didn't fair to well relic hunting. Fisher's were strong on Silver
coins. I liked the D-tex CK, SK, RS machines better than the Garrett's. When the 80's came around, the newer Fisher machines were the relic masters. Teknetics Mark 1 was the ultimate machine, I couldn't afford. Watched my friend just clean up with his coin hunting. At that point in time, I did not like the whip-me like a stick machines. When the Minelab Explorer came out, should have gotten one.
The guys who owned one were finding all the deep old coins, while we couldn't even pick those deepies up with the machines we thought were great.
Kind of gave up on land detecting right about 1982 for the most part. Bought a Garrett XL500 VLF/TR water machine looking for rings etc with scuba. Profitable and fun. Then discovered treasure in old bottles on land and in the water using scuba, much more profitable than detecting, plus all the cool relics you find while hunting the glass.

I think everyone will have a favorite from back then. Back then a different era of machines and technology that were all capable of delivering the goods, some better than others. Same as today, you just have a much bigger choice of what to buy and try, better knowledge base on detector performance etc. before you put your money out..........

I heard the Shadow's were EXCELLENT units...real hard to come by. What was the story behind them? I think I remember that the designer had a real tiny company, and wound up going under. But I heard guys going crazy over that machine.

Joe
The Shadow X5 has held cult status since day one.
Had one, fantastic single tone  relic machine. It will easily remind you of a Fisher CZ that it's not. Was built for Troy by Fisher to Troys specs and design.
Always commanded a high resale price. Still averages about $500 but slowly slipping towards $450 on a regular basis.
It held its own in performance up until the last few years. With all the new machines coming out from places such as Bulgaria, Turkey, and US manufacturers that surpass it in performance, think its glamour is fading.
Still the X5 is one of the best quality built machines ever produced. And they look sharp.

If you have never experienced a Troy Shadow X5, if you have the spare cash to buy a cult classic. Do it while you can, you will not be disappointed. You may end up never selling it.

The X3 was also built for Troy by Fisher but, not in the same league as the X5.

The X2 were build for Troy by Tesoro, just a re-badged Silver Sabre Umax.
open up the control box, it will say Silver Sabre.
[attachment=6800]

[Image: E_BAY_151.jpg]
(11-11-2015 10:04 PM)Sven TreasureLinx Wrote: [ -> ]The Shadow X5 has held cult status since day one.
Had one, fantastic single tone  relic machine. It will easily remind you of a Fisher CZ that it's not. Was built for Troy by Fisher to Troys specs and design.
Always commanded a high resale price. Still averages about $500 but slowly slipping towards $450 on a regular basis.
It held its own in performance up until the last few years. With all the new machines coming out from places such as Bulgaria, Turkey, and US manufacturers that surpass it in performance, think its glamour is fading.
Still the X5 is one of the best quality built machines ever produced. And they look sharp.

If you have never experienced a Troy Shadow X5, if you have the spare cash to buy a cult classic. Do it while you can, you will not be disappointed. You may end up never selling it.

The X3 was also built for Troy by Fisher but, not in the same league as the X5.

The X2 were build for Troy by Tesoro, just a re-badged Silver Sabre Umax.
open up the control box, it will say Silver Sabre.

[Image: E_BAY_151.jpg]

What a shame. There was one in MINT condition on the classifieds earlier in the year...and pretty sure it was an X5, though not 100% sure on that. I was going to take a gamble on it, but passed at the last second. I heard them puppies were DEEP, and if it operates even close to the older, Los Banos CZ's, I'd probably like it. Wonder how they do on deep iron?

Joe
Your bringing back some memories for sure, very cool of you - thanks.

Good luck with your new toy.

I still own a Garrett GMH CX II but the battery compartment needs fixing and I just have been to busy to mess with it. Maybe this winter.
Reference URL's