Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: VERY Interesting Relic Hunter Article
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just found this story online. A few weeks old. Larry Cissna's mentioned. Not good. I only know Larry through the forums & the show, but, in his defense, this doesn't sound right. He'd have an organized hunt WITHOUT permission?!?! That would be asinine! 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/opinio....html?_r=0

Joe
Was investigating this matter a bit more, and found this article (link below). Seems there was another incident, as well. 

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/...006/235492

Joe
Let's just as that one person's opinion is not always fact.  The first article is total BS and purely his opinion and full if NON facts.

I personally know Larry as a friend and I was one of the lucky participant that hunted Flower Dew Plantation for two full days.  What a fantastic site.  One of the earliest-if not the earliest plantation in Virginia.

Everyone, including the Mega Rich Billionaire owner, knew we were there.  With his blessings!!

Yes, this really pi$$ed off the archeologist but they had dug on this property for over 30 years and they considered it "done"  Hell ,we were finding the metal stakes they used to grid off an area.  So much for cleaning up after themselves!!

Larry runs a tight ship and gets on some great property.  But he does that by paying the owners.  He gets the money by charging the hunters. And he keeps some for himself for all the effort.  Pretty simple business model.

The damn archeologist were not even looking for the stuff that was found and would have never found it because they are all random losses spread out over 1500 acres.  They only focus on little 10x10 areas were a structure was.  Also, once a field is deep plowed I think the "matrix" is already F'ed up so the archeologists can sit on a sharp stick!

I saw a bunch of great stuff dug on this hunt.  Some of it was incredible to see in person knowing that you had a chance of walking over it!!

Tons of the relics were donated to the property owner.

I bet there will be another hunt at this site

Yes, the 2nd article is somewhat true. But a lot of that was driven by archeologist who heard about the hunt from a competitive relic hunter who also sponsors these types of hunts.  The raised a stink and the caretaker was kind of the scapegoat for the corporation.  Do you really think a caretaker would risk having 250 on the property for 2 1/2 days without the owners permission.  That does not happen!!

Just my two cents on the subject.

Thanks for posting these links because this BS really get under my skin.
(09-01-2013 09:57 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Let's just as that one person's opinion is not always fact.  The first article is total BS and purely his opinion and full if NON facts.

I personally know Larry as a friend and I was one of the lucky participant that hunted Flower Dew Plantation for two full days.  What a fantastic site.  One of the earliest-if not the earliest plantation in Virginia.

Everyone, including the Mega Rich Billionaire owner, knew we were there.  With his blessings!!

Yes, this really pi$$ed off the archeologist but they had dug on this property for over 30 years and they considered it "done"  Hell ,we were finding the metal stakes they used to grid off an area.  So much for cleaning up after themselves!!

Larry runs a tight ship and gets on some great property.  But he does that by paying the owners.  He gets the money by charging the hunters. And he keeps some for himself for all the effort.  Pretty simple business model.

The damn archeologist were not even looking for the stuff that was found and would have never found it because they are all random losses spread out over 1500 acres.  They only focus on little 10x10 areas were a structure was.  Also, once a field is deep plowed I think the "matrix" is already F'ed up so the archeologists can sit on a sharp stick!

I saw a bunch of great stuff dug on this hunt.  Some of it was incredible to see in person knowing that you had a chance of walking over it!!

Tons of the relics were donated to the property owner.

I bet there will be another hunt at this site

Yes, the 2nd article is somewhat true. But a lot of that was driven by archeologist who heard about the hunt from a competitive relic hunter who also sponsors these types of hunts.  The raised a stink and the caretaker was kind of the scapegoat for the corporation.  Do you really think a caretaker would risk having 250 on the property for 2 1/2 days without the owners permission.  That does not happen!!

Just my two cents on the subject.

Thanks for posting these links because this BS really get under my skin.

I concur, Ron Yes As I said above, the whole premise of the article is nonsensical!
Who in their right mind would tell 100, 150 people, "Ok fellas, we can't hunt this property, but, lets just show up and do it anyways". The REAL problem here is, it's just another blatant - albeit lame - attack on the hobby courtesy of the Archie's. Period. I bet it's killing them that Larry's got his own show now, too, lol.

Joe
Yeah--I'm sure they do not like all these new shows about metal detecting!!

Not sure I like all these shows about metal detecting!!  Wink
(09-01-2013 10:39 PM)Ron (CA) Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah--I'm sure they do not like all these new shows about metal detecting!!

Not sure I like all these shows about metal detecting!!  Wink

For the most part, I'm not a fan either, however, Dig Wars is probably the best of the bunch. The wrestler is a moron & the other two from Diggers are too cheesy. I simply don't watch them aside from an episode here or there. It is what it is, Ron Wink

P.S. - Still, glad the Archie's got their underwears in knots over the shows. Makes me proud to be a detectorist!

Joe
I was waiting for Ron to respond...I remember you saying you did a gnrs hunt...yep, the archies use us as scapegoats, out of jealousy I presume. But the one scary part is they have government backing and are organized...f em.
This shoehorns in quite nicely with this thread. Never shared the story before. 

About 2 years ago, was digging at one of my old spots. Some kid (19 or so) saunters over, apparently quite interested in what I'm doing. As is the norm for us, in the course of swinging, we sometimes get people who are mesmerized by detecting. So, took the time to take my headphones off, stop hunting & chat him up. Conversation went something like this...

Kid: "Whatch doin?"

Me: Just looking for old coins & stuff like that."

Kid: "Oh."

Me: Do you detect?"

Kid: "No, I'm in school over at Rutgers."

Me: " Cool, whatcha studying?"

Kid: "We'll, actually I'm majoring in Archealogic Sciences."

Me: "Oh, ok."

Kid: "Maybe I shouldn't say this, but, what you're doing is almost a crime."

Me: (Sarcastic laugh) "Really, how so?"

Kid: "Well, your digging up history. Your contaminating a historic site for pleasure as opposed to science. Actually, I wish you would stop doing that,"

Me: "Doing what?"

Kid: "Digging!"

Me: "And I wish YOU would stop doing THAT!"

Kid: "What?"

Me: "Being a douchebag a$$hole! Just because I don't have a fancy piece of paper that I paid $100,000 for doesn't mean I don't love history as much as you do! Unlike you guys, we don't get paid for this. We do it for passion, NOT profit! Thanks for wasting my time!"

He turned white as a ghost, turned and skulked away. Illustrates perfectly their twisted, obtuse logic.

Joe
Great Story Joe,

Here's mine.

I was detecting a major STREET Demo in Sacramento down by a bunch of old warehouses.  The entire street for two block had been ripped up.

I see some young guy coming towards me and as he approaches I can see that he has this determination in his eyes.

Right off he pukes out "You can't do that"  
 I ask why and that I have had conversations with the police in the area and they have no issues with me being here.  He goes on to state that he was hired by Sacramento to oversee the archeological aspect of the street demo.

I kind of laughed and said 'really.  What do you expect to find in a street demo? "  He said that historically significant artifacts can turn up.  Then I said, Yeah, that is why I am here.  

He said if I find anything that the history of the object will be lost because I disturbed how the item was located in the ground.  I laughed again and pointed down and said "don't you think the bulldozers and backhoes already did that!"

He went on to sate how there were Indian grounds in this area etc etc and I just told him that there probably were Indians all over Sacramento at one point in time and that all that history is now under 10 feet of fill and road base and that what I am finding has no scientific significance due to the fact that the city has built over it, moved it around with heavy equipment and that they hired him to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy.  I told him that I dig down maybe 3-4 inches in a street demo and 99% of what I find is in the fluff and debris that has been scrapped up. I told him that I doubt I will be digging into any Indian site 10 feet down with my little hand digger.

I then got him calmed down and we chatted for about 10 minutes about how I wished the Archeologist would view us as an asset like they do in England.  And how most of the "Treasure" found in England in recent years has been found by people with Metal Detectors who then call in the "Professionals"  I mentioned to him that he was young enough to make a impact on how Archies view us and that he should try to incorporate people who metal detect into digs etc etc.

I volunteered to help him whenever he needed assistance. 

He left with a comment of "Yeah, I don't think you are hurting anything"

Well, I did get 2 old silvers, a couple Indians, buff and a few wheats.  Nothing worthy of rewriting the history of Sacramento
Good stories. My only run in wasn't bad. When they tore out a few blocks off Lafayette in Stockton, a bunch of us had hit it for a year or two. Found my only Morgan there. Anyway I show up to detect one day (remember its been demoed for a long time) and there's a group of archies diggin a small area. I asked them if they mind if I detect, and they said go ahead, but let us see what you find. But another time we where waiting with anticipation for a building right at the beginnings of Stockton to come down. Well they tore it down, put up the usual fence (lol) and hired security..wth? Yep, the archies. Whats funny, is I'm 47 and finally figured out what I would like to be when I grow up..an archeologist! A nd I'm not joking
Reference URL's