Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old Comic Gags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was reading a comic book my neighbor kid showed me yesterday, and sadly, I didn't see any of those crazy ads for the cool stuff they used to advertise for, back in the day. I ordered more crap than a horse farmer would; the Charles Atlas course, Sea Monkeys, X-Ray Sunglasses, the UFO Blimp, and probably 1,001 other useless, but fun (and cheap) goodies. Who else ordered what? Chuckle

P.S. - I'd buy that sub today!

Joe
I loved those ads. I once bought a "pocket spy telescope" from one of those ads!!

I'd buy that sub too!!

Anyone ever buy the Monkey!! A freakin monkey for $19 -- with a bunch of free stuff on top of it all!! The good old days!!
Lol!!! That's good, Ron. I was always too afraid to order the "mystery item", though, as I was afraid it would be some dumb trick or something. I hope someone chimes in who actually got it, so I can find out what it was.

Did the telescope actually work? Sadly, the X-Ray glasses didn't Chuckle Tongue

Joe
Of course they worked.

I could see through it and that is all that mattered back then.

I had a spy telescope--therefore I was a spy !! and I watched everyone through my 2x spy telescope!! Nothing got past me (for a few days anyway)
At a mere 11 years old I went to the bank to get a money order for a Whamo slingshot from one of those ads in I think a Superman comic, or maybe one of my dad's Popular Mechanics mags, with all the spare change I'd been saving. (Mostly silver, I have to add.) Had the envelope addressed, stamped and ready and didn't know that it took sooooo long to do up a money order until my mother showed up and whooped the hell out of me right there in the bank.

I eventually connived my way into getting one under cover because those fine people at the Post Office, who really didn't know my mother, and thought it was really cute an 11 year old kid needed a Postal Money Order for $4.95. And the great thing was, I got the mail every day right after school!!!!

One more for the Gipper!!! Yes LOL!

Poor squirrels. No Sorry about that.

It's also how my Father taught me to glaze glass. So it wasn't a total loss!!!

Ed/ODF
Me and my brothers ordered the Sea Monkeys. Most of them were duds. But we did have something moving in one batch. That was some excitement, until we realize it was nothing like the family of Sea Monkeys on the Advertisement.  We always wanted the X-Ray glasses, and the hand Buzzer but never ordered them. I like the old ads. When I'm researching old newspapers for places to hunt. I often start reminiscing and checking out the ads. Thanks for the topic, enjoyed.
FYI: Charles Atlas made something like $2 or $3,000,000 from those ads in his lifetime. And that was 60's to 80's money, which was worth a whole lot more than today! His course was actually pretty good, believe it or not. Mostly common sense type stuff, but there were a few gems, especially when you're a teenager reading it. Never had the issue of sand getting kicked in my face, but I thought I would "win more girls" after trying it. Didn't happen Tongue

Joe
(11-11-2015 08:16 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]At a mere 11 years old I went to the bank to get a money order for a Whamo slingshot from one of those ads in I think a Superman comic, or maybe one of my dad's Popular Mechanics mags, with all the spare change I'd been saving. (Mostly silver, I have to add.) Had the envelope addressed, stamped and ready and didn't know that it took sooooo long to do up a money order until my mother showed up and whooped the hell out of me right there in the bank.

I eventually connived my way into getting one under cover because those fine people at the Post Office, who really didn't know my mother, and thought it was really cute an 11 year old kid needed a Postal Money Order for $4.95. And the great thing was, I got the mail every day right after school!!!!

One more for the Gipper!!! Yes LOL!

Poor squirrels. No Sorry about that.

It's also how my Father taught me to glaze glass. So it wasn't a total loss!!!

Ed/ODF

You wouldn't even have the chance to buy that slingshot today, as once some kid broke a window or took someone's eye out with the thing, everyone would be up in arms, and they'd be banned. Different times back then Yes

Joe
Too funny.
Yes Sea Monkeys and we all had a good laugh at it, bunch of crap for sure.

My buddy ordered the X- Ray sun glasses and the rest of the guys couldn't stop laughing when he tried them and they didn't work.......
Okay Okay,
Johnson Smith Company was my favorite gag catalog, I bought a lot of cool stuff from them. They would send me this real thick catalog. Even got a wholsesale catalog from them in 1979. Bought stuff to resale at the flea market.

Sea Monkeys, had them when I was about 6 or 7 years old. They didn't live long.
When I was into fish breeding, I hatched those suckers by the thousands and my fish loved slurping them down.

What got me thinking,  kids were pretty dumb back in the 60's.....with wild imaginations when reading the comic book ads.
I wanted to get the camoflage paint you wipe on yourself so you would disappear from site.

I fell for Charles Atlas stuff. I wanted to kick sand in some bully's face and get the girl. After 7 days, I looked like this, no kidding:
[Image: Arnold-Schwarzenegger11-300x200.jpg]
Then I got into stamp collecting, loved getting those envelopes filled with stamps on approval. Foreign coins too.

How about all those free cassette and 8 track tapes from Columbia House, I'd sign up with 3 different names. Even got a free stereo cassette player from them at one time.

Back then there were all sorts of cool stuff kids could buy.................
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's