Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Finished converting my Minelab meter to 180.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

I know this is a old modification, but I needed it. Because I really was not happy with the fluctuating 550 meter. This is my opinion, and I know some people prefer the 550 meter. So I'm going to put it to the test. I can always convert it back if need to be. 

I'm not going into all the instructions since it is posted several places on the web. 

Thanks for Chopz54 instructions, parts from Ron / MA. (10k POT, and 3 resistors) and Mike / VA for ID chart.  I'm sure others have posted parts and instructions too.

However, I will tell you it is easy to convert, if you can solder. I elected not to peel the sticker off. Instead, I cut the sticker around the screws, allowing the screws to be removed. 

I plan to test it out this weekend. It seemed to lock on good in my test garden.
[attachment=6808]
[attachment=6809]
Ive only used the sunray meters, but the sov/meter combo is the most accurate I.D.  I have ever used. Good luck!
Great job on the meter mod Yes You'd be hard pressed to find anyone to that would dispute that the Sov's were/are some of the deepest machines ever. Kings of the beach, but also very able on turf, too. You will surely be pulling out some deepies with that set-up Wink

P.S. - How much would the 550 meter fluctuate? By a few digits, or large drops/rises?

Joe
Nice Job.
The 180 meter was a very popular mod.
That was one of my first ever detector mods along with a pinpoint switch on my Sov Elite.

It's basically changing some resistor and pot values.
Also, changing from cheap carbon film (5% tolerance) resistors that can vary in value when heating up,  with metal film resistors, 1% tolerance.
Reference URL's