Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What Gives?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who are these people that sign up here, and then never get involved? It's kinda like going to a party, and then standing in a corner all night, and not talking to anyone. What's the deal? Are we intimidating? Do we reek of body odor? I don't get it.

New members, WE DON'T BITE Yes Come on in, relax, browse around, introduce yourself, and have some fun.

Before this place existed, I was a member of 2 or 3 forums. I would've never joined if I had no intention of getting involved. I understand some people might be shy, a bit reserved or whatever, but it's all in good spirit.

Doesn't upset me, or make me angry, but it's a real head-scratcher Cool

Joe
I use to post a lot more but I haven't had time to detect much this year. I do look at the post and reply sometimes but I'm a man of not many words. Short and to the point.
(11-16-2015 09:07 AM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]I use to post a lot more but I haven't had time to detect much this year. I do look at the post and reply sometimes but I'm a man of not many words. Short and to the point.

I didnt mean you, or any one of our current members, whether they post often, or more sporadically, Redd. What I meant was, the folks that sign up, create a profile, and then never post at all, not even an introductory message. I can understand some people simply like to browse, or stay in the background, but then why join? Completely nonsensical.

Joe
I think lot's of people register just as an adjunct to the classified section or because they think they are registering for the classifieds when they are actually joining the forum. It would be an easy mistake.
Horses don't drink until they're ready.......
Good question. Maybe they didn't give it a chance - or maybe they work to much.
I feel this site is easy to use and hope more folks start posting more to make it more fun - oh and then they will earn prizes or win contests.
Or some of them can be learning detecting? We are a niche group for sure. Maybe some get involved and swing for a couple of months and fall off. This is an attractive site and pretty easy to use, even for the i phers. Finds lately on my end have been abysmal though. I need new ground. But I'm a posting freak so what do I know! Chuckle Found another pen knife yesterday with what I think is a bone handle. But you know me, it's in the truck!

Ed/ODF
I think so people join to be able to view the pictures and lurk in the shadows. Some sites won't allow you to view the pictures without registering. ( not sure if that is true here) 
Not sure, why they don't participate.  
For me, I plan to be a active member, and a friend. I have a few things to post. Nothing like a OMG, (Barber half)! But a few things of interest. 
I have hunted about 5 times since my last posting. I go all the time, lately finds are few to none. 
So I have been researching more, and plan to drive further. Might even pay somebody to tear down the No Trespassing signs! 
Easy now, just kidding about removing the signs. I know a lot of the signs are intended for the homeless taking up residents and trashing the place. I'm disgusted how they just throw their crap down. You know, if I was in that situation, I would at least be clean. I have a OCD about throwing trash in the ground. I'm like the Indian, on the old commercial beside the road with people throwing trash at his feet. Sad world we live in. Pisses me off, sorry folks ruinning it for others. When I was growing up, we respected other peoples property, and there was no need for all the no trespassing signs. 

Sorry, to this topic into another direction. I will post soon, try no to laugh or act like it something special either. Lol!!!
Guys, the reason I posted this message, the SOLE INTENT...

Was specifically aimed at NEW members who sign up, create a user name, and never put up a single post...not even a simple introductory message. It was NOT meant for any of the regulars here, which anyone will clearly see, if they care to re-read my original post, as well as the follow-up comments below.

There are many forums which block a guest's ability to read posts, view pictures, etc. In that case, I can understand why someone would become a member, and then not become active. However, in our case, a guest can freely read/view anything they'd like as a guest. So, why they'd bother to sign up and then not become active behooves me. And that is precisely why I shared this with our community. Nothing more, and nothing less.

Anyone who's been a participating member here for least a few months, will surely know that I am one of the most lax, easy-going people around. So, here's what I suggest...

Quit the back room gossip & rabble rousing. Enough! I believe 100% that we not only have the best detecting forum on the net, but some of the best members, as well. For the few who wish to read into my posts, nitpick over the subtext of them, and then get into the linguistics games, save it.

Unlike many of the the other forums, I don't do this for profit. It's been 3 years of blood, sweat & tears running the community...all out of pocket. And I'd do it all over again, in a heartbeat, for my love of this hobby. I'm not patting myself on the back, just stating facts. I'm not some professional web guru, a forum expert, or any of that. I'm just a guy who has a passion for metal detecting, like you. I do the best I can. This site is like a baby to me, I want nothing but the greatest for it, for us. Why anyone would think differently, escapes me.

I felt the need to respond in this fashion, based on a private message I got from a fellow member. While I appreciate the input I received, it was based on something I clearly DIDN'T intend, and wanted to address this head-on, in case anyone else also misconstrued the true meaning of my original message.

As a community, we live & die based on the participation of our members. Whether that participation be 1 post per week, or 10 posts per day, doesn't matter. We all do the best we can given our situations. I fully understand that, and expect nothing else. I apologize if I wasn't clear enough in my original message.

Joe
(11-17-2015 10:35 AM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]I think so people join to be able to view the pictures and lurk in the shadows. Some sites won't allow you to view the pictures without registering. ( not sure if that is true here) 
Not sure, why they don't participate.  
For me, I plan to be a active member, and a friend. I have a few things to post. Nothing like a OMG, (Barber half)! But a few things of interest. 
I have hunted about 5 times since my last posting. I go all the time, lately finds are few to none. 
So I have been researching more, and plan to drive further. Might even pay somebody to tear down the No Trespassing signs! 
Easy now, just kidding about removing the signs. I know a lot of the signs are intended for the homeless taking up residents and trashing the place. I'm disgusted how they just throw their crap down. You know, if I was in that situation, I would at least be clean. I have a OCD about throwing trash in the ground. I'm like the Indian, on the old commercial beside the road with people throwing trash at his feet. Sad world we live in. Pisses me off, sorry folks ruinning it for others. When I was growing up, we respected other peoples property, and there was no need for all the no trespassing signs. 

Sorry, to this topic into another direction. I will post soon, try no to laugh or act like it something special either. Lol!!!

OT, but here goes!

Ya know updownup, that's the same way I feel. And the same way I was brought up. I carry a bag with me (as I always do anyway because I walk the dog twice a day) and I try and take every can and piece of crap out of there with me and put it in the parks recycling can. Makes it better for me to detect and it cleans up the place. But I have to be honest. Sometimes it's simply overwhelming. I have come to lately envision my fellow humans as pure and simple pigs. And even pigs do better than this. That's a little rough, but I think warranted. Especially the beer cans. It drives me absolutely crazy. And I recycle my beer cans here at the ranch. Does humanity still, yet, in the 21st century, have no respect for the ground they are standing on? From eons ago you came and shortly you will go to? It just drives me completely nuts. And I'm not a tree hugger. One tree to keep you warm at night is as good as another.

But here's the kicker. I live in an area that has a big, and I mean big, valley parkway. 55,000 acres with some upper elevations leveling at 220 feet above the creeks below. And, in the early parts of the 19th and 20th CENTURY, we humans thought it a great thing to do, to back up the wagon or dump truck to the edge of the valley, and dump our junk and discarded items over the side! I mean, what else are woods for????? If I told you how many times I've been in a repelling sling, tied to an upper tree, swinging a detector, well, you might believe me if I had time to take some pics.

You and me, up, we see! The folly of how things can be destroyed without vigilance.

Good luck for the rest of the week.

And the new members signing up and not posting. Well, maybe they're shy.

I'm not!!!Chuckle

Ed/ODF
Reference URL's