Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Guess Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I use a modified jewelry mode, with just enough rejection to null the threshold on a 2" long rusted square nail specimen. The rest of the conductive scale is accepted. Nothing complicated, just simple. When I'm at the huntsite, I take the detector from the trunk, hit the power tactile, listen to the opening tune, and run noise cancel (EMI supression) for about 20 seconds... Safari is ready to go in the last settings used!

If I were swinging quickly, I would have missed the button signal for sure. The signal was fully there, but a slow swing speed brings it out, but that is Basic Detecting 101 for any machine. I find the Safari can really remove the soil from the metal signal and deep too. Deep silver is where you find it and when it's there, I rarely miss it. It's just harder to find hunt sites that haven't been Minelab'ed!

I think there are a lot of Safari users out there who aren't bragging, just quietly taking home the good stuff from where others have detected before. I hunt a lot of areas I used to hunt as far back as the 70's and it's like hunting all over again. But now the pulltabs can be as deep as eight inches in some locations!

My invoice says the Safari is now about 1 year and 30 days old. I try to hunt in the cooler months mostly to avoid the ticks and gnats, but I don't waste time whenever I'm free from work and responsibility. When I do hunt, I spend a solid 8 hours in the day swinging and digging.

How many hours on the Safari would be hard for me to estimate, but I would guess in the neighborhood of 150-200 hours. Lately I've been busy getting cataract surgeries. 20/20 is a beautiful thing. Last time out I marveled at nature in all it's detailed glory! Growing older has its hurdles, but I'm not letting it hold me back!
Boy, we must be long lost twins! I too prefer hunting in the cooler months of the spring & fall, and usually forego much detecting in the summer.

And I agree, I think the Safari is a beast at picking up on those deep oldies. Of course, any Minelab would do the same, but I've come to prefer the stark simplicity of the Safari...and the lower price tag, too, lol. Doesn't have all the bells & whistles, but in the hands of a practiced operator, it can easily hold its own with any of the flagship ML models, IMO.

It really came in waves for me, my love of both the ML's & the Safari. Years ago, I tried one, and was completely lost...and I even got lucky and found some silver with it! But the strange noises it made compared to my old Whites MXT were baffling. It was literally like being stuck inside a pinball machine. I wound up selling it, and went through a steady succession of units; CZ (loved it!), Omega (great unit, but didn't punch deep in my soil), F75 (too much EMI & undependable VID for a coin hunter), etc. Then wound up getting another Safari since a hunting buddy was using one, and never looked back.

Just like you, I'm finding most of the parks/wooded sites that were hit hard from the 70's to the 90's, are now brand new again, thanks to the FBS technology, which nobody was using back then. The key, as you said, is to listen for the faint, whisper signals, as most of our old stuff here too, generally starts at about the 6" or 7" range.

It's not a perfect machine, although I don't know of ANY perfect machine, but it's perfect for ME, and my application.

Joe
(11-17-2015 11:21 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]When you say the "same", Wayne, do you mean iron is COMPLETELY nulled out/not heard, or do you mean that the detector is able to hear the good tone mixed in with the junk?

Does it not depend on where the iron/junk is? For example, what if a nail is directly OVER a coin, not beside it?

Joe

Joe = it depends on the machine and how you have it set up/if you're using disc or not

my Vaq will not even see/hear the iron and hit the silver/dime with a nail right on top of it - I showed that in a vid I did with it in a real world hunt

the deus is the same way - found a silver roosie with a nail on top of it but the deus never even saw the nail!

My Etrac will hit the silver even with the nail on top of it too when running wide open no disc but it's a mixed tone - sometimes grunting iron and sometimes hitting silver/high tone -- you can tell there's something good mixed in

if you add too much disc though it changes everything

Beer
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's