Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Guess Again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I thought I'd start off with some fun.

There is a lot of talk nowadays about the new metal detectors with "ultra-fast" response timing and the ability to detect "treasure next to trash" more efficiently.

What you see below is a uniform button with three-piece construction; missing the brazed shank; and brass top with gilt plating. Obverse marking: "N.Y. & B. BRIDGE". Reverse marking: "SCOVILL MFG CO. WATERBURY". The Brooklyn Bridge opened in 1883 and this button was possibly worn by an employee of the Brooklyn Bridge Trolley authority ca. 1880's. The large rusted broken spike was found in the same recovery hole. The target ID was steady and unmistakable for buttons of this conductive level. The spike was audibly rejected during the ID session, but was discovered during retrieval with an all-metal hand-held pinpointer in the same recovery hole. The button was lost in the area of a dwelling site.

My question is... Can you guess what brand and model of detector found these two items in the same hole with medium to strong ferrous ground minerals?
HINT: No elephants were harmed during the recovery of these targets!

[attachment=6834]
Just a guess but, a bounty hunter.
So, let me get this straight...

The iron spike was nulled, meaning, it's tone wasn't heard at all, only the response from the button. Hmmmm...

Going by the set-up in your post about the "new metal detectors", I am leaning towards the unit in question being a bit older.

Maybe a CZ? A Whites Blue & Grey? Maybe an original F75?

Those would be my guesses. And whatever machine tuned that large iron spike out, while ONLY picking up on the button, has got my endorsement Yes

Joe
Man 2Many, that's a good one! Let me see.... a Nirvana machine, with distinct Iron discrimination, that can read brass perfectly, in the same hole. Man, you must be the slowest sweeper on the planet! But you got Sherlock here with the Elephants statement confused as hell. Logic abounds on this end. Welcome to the Forum from NE Ohio! And so what coil were you using? Ha, ha.... Oh! Nice find BTW! That's a real keeper!

Ed/ODF

(11-17-2015 10:39 PM)biggredd1972 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a guess but, a bounty hunter.

Love that response!Chuckle
Explorer or xlt
Nice finds

my guess is a Tesoro or a Minelab

either a Tejon or Vaquero or an Etrac, Explorer or CTX

Deus would be my 3rd guess

and I'm only mentioning these because I've owned them ALL and they've ALL done the same...
(11-17-2015 11:10 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]Nice finds

my guess is a Tesoro or a Minelab

either a Tejon or Vaquero or an Etrac, Explorer or CTX

Deus would be my 3rd guess

and I'm only mentioning these because I've owned them ALL and they've ALL done the same...

When you say the "same", Wayne, do you mean iron is COMPLETELY nulled out/not heard, or do you mean that the detector is able to hear the good tone mixed in with the junk?

Does it not depend on where the iron/junk is? For example, what if a nail is directly OVER a coin, not beside it?

Joe
Nice button and welcome to the forum.

I am not really up on new machines but could it be a Mako Racer or Deus?

I have Minelab Exp II, it does find good targets with iron and other trash in the hole.
No brag it just makes you smile when it happens
I could go on and leave you all in suspense, but that's enough guessing! Some of you were very close. It was a Minelab Safari (hint elephants) using the stock 11" Pro loop. The threshold quieted as I approached the hit. Digging down towards the hit, which registered a little below half scale on the depth indicator, the spike came out first, believe it or not. The ID reading was consistent as before even after the spike was removed. Fortunately the DD loop was at the right angle to the spike length to grab a good hit. Try to replicate this without soil involved and that's another story! When I get partial signals, again good with the bad, I like to rotate the DD swing around the signal. You would be surprised at how much more defined the signal can be using this technique.

I see many people jumping ship for the high speed response detectors and later coming back to their Minelabs. I did too. I found many of these "fast" detectors make iron sound like good targets, especially steel bottlecaps.

For me, I love simplicity, because to me true sophistication is simplicity. I owned an Etrac before the Safari and I really liked the upper conductive resolution for knowing more about the coins you were digging in trashy parks... But fortunately I don't spend most of my time in parks, I'm more of a woodsman. What I personally found better about the Safari (which originally was my first choice) over the Etrac was the screen and handle angle... More like the old Explorers. The Safari screen resolution and graphics could be considered crude compared to the Etrac, but I can see the Safari display in bright sunlight way better than the Etrac. Large two digit ID, simple depth indication, simple probable target icons and a linear graph of conductive level to support the icons is more than enough for me. I find most times the Safari holds a solid audio on round targets like coins and buttons, but gives a "flutey" report on aluminum screw caps and some shotgun shells. I haven't seen any depth degradation between it and the Etrac. So far I've found just about the same amount of old silver with the Safari. What I love about Minelabs in general is the absence of manual ground balance and their truly automated sensitivity. I don't have to obsess over what transmit frequency is best for what soil, or what sensitivity could be optimum. The display numericals are large and easy to see even to older eyes and the audio is more like warm analog to my ears than the annoying mosquito tones on many detectors today. Yes, Minelabs are heavy, yet decently balanced, but they are built to take all you can dish out. I guess what I like best about the Safari is what I've been finding with it!  For any who still don't think Minelabs can be good at separating trash from treasure... I also found (around an early burned dwelling) a brass CW chin strap slide in the same hole with 5 small lathe nails, yes, stock 11" coil. Sorry about the digression and no, I don't work for Minelab! :-)
Ha, guess I'm a dumba$$ after all, as if anyone should've gotten that, it shoulda been me! Yes, I swing a Safari, lol.

So, you were obviously in discriminate mode then, and the iron nulled out, and you heard that tell-tale high tone blip pop through, yes? What stock mode were you in? Or did you manually adjust the discrim settings?

I rarely hunt in discrim mode anymore, but when I used to, I could hear the obvious iron/junk null, and if I was moving slow enough, I would hear a mid/high tone pop through on the backside of the null. The trick I use on those is...

If the good tone that pops through is fairly consistent on the VID with the numbers, it's normally a good target co-mingled in with a nail or other piece of junk. If the VID numbers are bouncing wildly, and the good tone is hard to replicate, more times than not it's junk.

As primarily an older coin hunter, the Safari is hands down the best machine I ever used. Closely followed by the 1021 CZ.

Roughly how many hours do you have on the Safari?

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's