Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Back to the Silver Patch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Went back to the magic silver spot, today, and oddly enough, no silver. No complaints though, as this spot has been very good to me lately...we'll get'm next time.

I did find some cool keepers, aside from shiny. I got a French Deux Centimes coin. It's the size of a large cent, and was minted between 1855 and 1865. No exact date, as it's very worn, unfortunately. I included a photo of what it looks like in good condition, as a comparison.

Also got what appears to be a cuff link, though, the gap between the front and back is very thin, so I'm not certain it's a cuff link, but I'm heavily leaning towards it. It says "US" on the front, in a star pattern. Not sure if it's WW2 or earlier, as it was found in the same area as the French coin.

Got some weird oval shaped piece of jewelry, which I believe was attached to a ring or brooch, since I found the backing, too (not pictured). It's flat on the bottom, and the glass is bubbled up. The glass is magnified, as it enlarges what's under the glass.

Joe
Cool coin--very similar to the one Mark dug on a recent video!!
Regardless of the silver, those are some very old finds and leave you with the potential to expect more from that site. I love finding older non silver stuff to help me date an area. Good luck with your future hunts there Joe. Place looks like a real winner!

Ed/ODF
Very cool finds! I'm jelly
Whoa, cool finds for sure, congratulations!
I would say you are not bored with this site!
Great digs Joe. I'm fairly confident that's not a cuff link. Still, it's really cool. I believe it's a belt stud (search civil war belts, you'll see them) I could be totally wrong. I have found several of them at civil war spotsĀ 
Just my two cents.
Congrats on the nice finds! Sweet spot indeed.
(11-22-2015 03:14 PM)SLCdigger Wrote: [ -> ]Great digs Joe. I'm fairly confident that's not a cuff link. Still, it's really cool. I believe it's a belt stud (search civil war belts, you'll see them) I could be totally wrong. I have found several of them at civil war spotsĀ 
Just my two cents.

I believe you might be right, Frank. When I found it, I first thought a pin of some sort, but it's one piece, so it can't be that. Next I thought cuff link, but the gap between the back and front is very small, and I can't see someone being able to slip it through a cuff. I think you nailed it Beer Are you fairly confident it's civil war period, though? I was leaning towards WW2. Unfortunately, it's tough to date things at this site, as there's an array of finds that come up, that could span 75 years or more.

Joe
That stud is a WWI veteran's lapel button, made to go in the buttonhole on the lapel of a civilian suit.
(11-22-2015 07:24 PM)Nick A Wrote: [ -> ]That stud is a WWI veteran's lapel button, made to go in the buttonhole on the lapel of a civilian suit.

Excellent ID, Nick...and THANK YOU! It's really a bummer when I find something, and cannot get a proper ID on the piece. Obviously, I've never found one of these before, so I appreciate the call Yes Wink

Joe
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's