Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: What is your motivation to metal detect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I for one would have to say the thrill of discovery. But with this hobby everything is not always "peaches and cream". There are sometimes weeks of down points where I don't find much of anything, then streaks where I just keep hitting the jackpot. My motivation is knowing that persistence eventually pays off in great finds. But I do get slow sometimes. I'm a Bull when finding stuff and then a Lamb when not. Looking over old maps, thinking through hunts, trying to remember if I was there too many times or if I missed fringe areas. But I do go and hunt. Sometimes to no avail at all. Sometimes to rediscover my ability and new areas of the areas I've hunted. Silver coin is my mainstay. And old coppers & coins. To think that I find a 1876 Seated dime out in the middle of nowhere and a 1852 LC in the same type of search venue, well, that seems to be my motivation. Because in my case I really believe nobody has been there with a detector. And all of it is virgin ground. It's kinda like I'm the first guy on the moon. No one has been there but me. How do you guys feel?

Ed/ODF
I agree completely. Finding my first silver coin last week was such a amazing experience. Seeing a little coin like object instead of a rusty pointy thing was pretty awesome. The history, the hunt and the discovery and just being out there in the woods, the fields or even my front yard practicing is calming and relaxing to me. I also enjoy looking at the old maps and the history of the places I'll be heading to which makes me even more motivated to get out there
After having back surgery I wanted something to keep me moving so my love for old coins and such make it a great hobby for me. I always loved fishing before but it didn't keep me active enough. The fact that detecting over time could pay for itself is appealing as well. Finding old coins on my first few times out got me really hooked. I look at it kinda like gambling except the odd are more to my favor you never know what the next hole will hold for you.
I agree, its a combination of things like the anticipation, adventure, exercise, and the beauty of the outdoors. I go though spells without finding something decent for weeks at a time. Several reason why,but if it is not under my coil I can't find it. Anyway, I go at it sometimes so hard, mentally and physically for 3 bucks in clad and 2 grocery bags of trash. Then I ask myself how much more can I take. I know easier ways to get old coins. Just buy them, they are nice but lack the adventure and experience I get with finding a coin. So I choose to hunt, and it is rewarding evening if my finds are slim, trying to focus on the whole picture..

Happy Hunting, Good luck Guys!
I really enjoy the history & wonder, but most imoortantly...it's FUN! Yes

Joe
I have 2 main motivations

1: is a 2 part motivation = the research leading me to a place that I can find/dig anything from the 1870s and before (love the 1830s - 1870s period) of american history (as well as the colonial period too).

And

2: is using/testing every known metal tector known to mankind that I can get my hands on! There's just something about using/testing/trying new/different machines that keeps me motivated to keep the research going and to revisit old hunting grounds with new machines to see if I can squeak out a 150 yr old target I may have missed with the last 10/20 machines I used at the site Wink

Speaking of which = I'm done testing the Racer and have it up for sale/trade on the classified section IF interested = time for a new Fors Gold+ machine to test now Big Grin
My two cents -
1) only sport of hobby that you get a reward on the spot!

2)You never know what you will find

3)I love helping the US Mint recycle coins! Ha ha - but it doesn't pay much
Reference URL's