Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old Smashed piece of copper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Cool finds Tony and am in agreement about the train angle. What kind of coin? Who knows, but must've been one heavy train!

Ed/ODF
The clad quarter is a possibility - it feels the same weight but that will have to wait until I build up some more points and get the scale and test set from TC's!
Yes it is a training stomping job. But with a ridged edge it's not a penny. At least I'm not aware of a ridged edge penny. Once read the ridged edge was put on silver coins to prevent people from shaving them down. Maintaining the precious metal weight with value of coin.
updownup, you are probably correct on US coins and reading around the side.

I do remember a machine that did put a ridge around the flatten copper but - I will need to research that thought. Anyway that for all of your comments
Happy thanksgiving and happy hunting - 50 to 60 degrees in NJ tomorrow....wow
Definitely a train smashed coin I still do this from time to time
Steve do you use quarters and if so does the reeded edge still there?
I was thinking about this. Tony, have you weighed it? If you can get a weight you can narrow down the type of coin. Just because it's been squashed doesn't mean it's weight has changed.

Ed
Ed, I will weight it this week. I ordered the scale from TC and that is on the list of items to check out
(12-14-2015 11:11 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Steve do you use quarters and if so does the reeded edge still there?

Some times but not always.it really depend on the train.I have had trains that smush them perfectly and others that tear them apart. But yes some come with the edges like that but some don't
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's