Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Old Smashed piece of copper?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all, I went to two different sites this week and spent about two hours at each.
First site was an old school turned into a library and now they will use it for seniors.
The best coin it gave me is a 1934 wheat cent. This is the site where I dug up a copper whatsit?
Could it be a rolled copper coin like the ones you got from a machine? You put in a cent and turn a handle and out comes the lord's prayer or whatever?
This one has reading around the edge and it is worn flat as can be on both sides.

The other wheat cent is 1918 It found in another park today and that was the best coin.
Could it be a clad dime smashed by a train? When I was young we put coins on the tracks just to see how much it would flatten them sometimes we would find them sometimes they must have flew off somewhere.
Yes I agree could be a dime with reeded edge smashed by train
That is a possibility because there is a railroad station a few blocks from where I found it.
The picture doesn't show it in a good light because it is copper color
I also vote for train/railroad tracks. I just made some of these a few years ago and the dimensions, warping and edge of your piece all look just right.
Also agree train track coin the copper color comes fron the pressure of all that weight flattening it out
Yep, agree with everyone else...definitely a penny/train track job. I've dug quite a few over the years, and I like finding them. Sometimes, you can even see vague details of the coil on the piece. Nice find, Tony Yes

Joe
Well, thinking about it the other ones that I found do have words printed on them - this one has noda. There are very small traces of a letter or two but so small evern a ten loop didn't show any detail.

Thanks for all of your help
Kinda big for a flattened clad dime. I'm thinking more like a clad quarter. Nice find non the less. Gerry
(11-24-2015 02:35 PM)Gerry F Wrote: [ -> ]Kinda big for a flattened clad dime. I'm thinking more like a clad quarter. Nice find non the less. Gerry

I can agree with that point one way to know is to weigh it to see if it weighs the same as a clad quarter.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's