Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Targets disappear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So lately I've been digging deeper targets to only find nails and the faint high tone gone. If a nail is deep in high mineralized soil will the detector sometimes give a false reading? I get the solid faint high tone every sweep.
Yup, I dig those too.
I am sure Joe will write up several lines about digging the iron just in case it's not.
Yes. You answered your own question. Sometimes the combination of soil mineralization and iron, especially an itsy, bitsy piece, will produces a tone that is iffy diggable but sounds too good to pass up. Small pieces of iron "look" deep, but may only be 2 or 3 inches down. Then when you open the plug and disturb the iron, or separate it from the mineralization, the signal will disappear on later sweeps. This happens a lot in wet ground or damp ground and can lead to a lot of frustration. Depending on the mineralization, a very small piece of iron, something like the size of a #7 shot, can be a real headache. And they are tough to pass up. This is why you should hold your sensitivity just above half in heavy iron. Otherwise you end up picking up everything, even with Iron Mask on, or whatever settings you have on the AT Pro. I'm not familiar with the AT Pro too much but it's pretty much the norm for any kind of detector in those situations. I didn't learn that until over a year in, so your doing well on the guesswork! Yes

Ed/ODF
Any deep iron can throw off, and lie to even the best of detectors...all detectors. If I get a straight, full on, iron tone from every direction, I will not dig it. Yet, most relic hunters would gladly do so, as it could be an old ax head, a rusted out gun, etc. As a coin hunter though, I'll only dig the deeper iron if I'm totally fooled (it sounds like a coin), or if it sounds like iron sporadically, but there's high tones breaking through on certain swings/directions. This can mean a coin is too deep, and it can't be read cleanly, or, it might be there's iron in the hole, with a good target nearby. Or it's just iron falsing a high tone.

Also, as Ed said, there could be tiny iron particles in the soil, which can sound like a deep signal. Once you open the hole and disturb the soil, it breaks the iron particles up, and you don't hear the signal anymore. Many people call these "ghost holes" or "phantom holes".

I don't know of too many hunters who chase the deeper signals who don't dig a ton of iron every outing. It's the way it is. I literally dig probably a half pound (if not more) of old nails, whatsits, spikes, etc. each time I detect. But here's the thing...

If there's iron down that deep, there's gotta be non-iron targets, too Yes

As you grow with your detector, you'll be able to correctly predict much of the deeper iron, but not all of it. Nobody can, nor can any detector. If you wanna get the goodies, you gotta go through the junk.

Joe
Very good info from both of you, once again.  A lot of it makes sense now! 

Damn ghost holes. 

HH!
(11-24-2015 01:00 AM)Zachbl92 Wrote: [ -> ]Very good info from both of you, once again.  A lot of it makes sense now! 

Damn ghost holes. 

HH!

One more thing I wanted to add, which I will address in a second. First though, you mentioned that you're getting soft, high tone hits "on every sweep". Sounds to me like your sensitivity could be set too high, unless of course you're hunting a spot that indeed is jam-packed with deep iron, which is possible, but I'm guessing it's due to the sensitivity. If it's too high, your detector will act erratically, and what you THINK are deeper signals is just extraneous chatter the unit is making. Try lowering the sensitivity and see if it helps.

My other point was, iron typically doesn't pinpoint very well. That's one of the tricks in being able to know beforehand that the target is junk. Further, even if one is still fooled, and starts digging a plug, it's very rare that iron is directly in the middle of the hole like a coin or ring. If I get an iffy signal, open the plug and dig 2 or 3 shovelfuls of dirt, stick the pinpointer in and hear nothing, 99 times out of 100 that means it's deep iron, or iron way off on the side of the hole. So...

Ghost signals do exist, but it's very possible once your plug is opened, that you cannot find the target because it's iron, and not in the location you thought it would be. Old nails, for example, might be 2 or 3" away from the middle of the whole, and your detector might've been high toning on the tip of it, which is extremely common. Make sure to keep this in mind when digging.

Remember, 2 possibilities: Iron flecks in the soil which cause a ghost hole, or iron which is deeper than you think, or not in the location you are expecting.

Joe
Thanks again for the great tips. It really all does make sense now haha. Basically everything you explained is what is happening. I will be lowering my sensitivity even more and see how that goes.
Zach, I have a younger brother that detects with me sometimes. He does not have a lot of experience detecting. But sometimes I enjoy watching him, and try to find a phantom.Chuckle

Sometimes he has a huge hole, and I walk over with a "What the heck comment" telling him we are going to get run off digging like that.

He ends up covering it up, and walks off disgusted. Especially if I scan over it a find a target and it was NOT a phantom. Its all about learning.  

However, there was a few times I abort the excavation. Taking to long, and everything was leaning toward a iron spike and I decided move on. Sometimes wondered what I missed. lol
(11-24-2015 08:24 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Zach, I have a younger brother that detects with me sometimes. He does not have a lot of experience detecting. But sometimes I enjoy watching him, and try to find a phantom.Chuckle

Sometimes he has a huge hole, and I walk over with a "What the heck comment" telling him we are going to get run off digging like that.

He ends up covering it up, and walks off disgusted. Especially if I scan over it a find a target and it was NOT a phantom. Its all about learning.  

However, there was a few times I abort the excavation. Taking to long, and everything was leaning toward a iron spike and I decided move on. Sometimes wondered what I missed. lol

aha that's a funny story. i'll have to do that to my gf...And I do get pretty big holes sometimes too...and need to move on...haha
Reference URL's