Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Oldest find..1657 french liard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Oldest coin I've ever found...don't think I can top this one Happy
congrats on your oldest coin! I bet that was really exciting to find and brush up. hope ya find some more to show

HH
Great find Dirt, but you never know! Maybe you will. Got any other shots of it?

Ed/ODF
Nice recovery!! You never know what might pop out when you least expect it!!

Good Luck !

Any backstory on that coin? Found in a field in Mass., old New England home site visited by a famous Pilgrim? , etc?
I can tell it's REAL old, but kinda tough for me to make out, what kinda coin is it, exactly? What kinda site was it found at?

Joe
Great find you know has some age when they look like that
(11-24-2015 12:06 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I can tell it's REAL old, but kinda tough for me to make out, what kinda coin is it, exactly? What kinda site was it found at?

Joe
It's a little complicated, but very simply a liard would have been 216 to the franc. (US half cents were 200 to the dollar). It was a very small denomination coin. I'd think of it in British terms as being something between a half penny and a farthing (1/4 penny).

Here's what a non-dug one looks like:
http://www.monnaiesdantan.com/medias/lou...901274.jpg
(11-24-2015 11:55 AM)Nick A Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-24-2015 12:06 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]I can tell it's REAL old, but kinda tough for me to make out, what kinda coin is it, exactly? What kinda site was it found at?

Joe
It's a little complicated, but very simply a liard would have been 216 to the franc. (US half cents were 200 to the dollar). It was a very small denomination coin. I'd think of it in British terms as being something between a half penny and a farthing (1/4 penny).

Here's what a non-dug one looks like:
http://www.monnaiesdantan.com/medias/lou...901274.jpg

Thank, Nick Yes As he didn't have the coin type in his original post title, I couldn't tell what the coin was. It's an amazing piece, and the background info you provided is excellent.

Joe
Super nice find DirtDigger! Wow that coin holds some history. Just image you were standing in the exact spot as the person that lost it over 350 years ago. Wow, I would loved to have been there. Congratulations! Thank you for sharing.
Awsome!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's