Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Why I LOVE Detecting!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Allow me to get philosophical for a few secs, guys. I was thinking about this the other day, and was wondering if y'all feel the same...

Obviously, the finds & the history are the driving point of what we do, however, at least for me, it's a whole lot more than that.

Being human, we ALL have problems, stresses & obstacles in our lives. At work, at home, kids, our respective others, etc. I find hunting to be the ultimate escape. Just me (and maybe a buddy or two) and the dirt. It's real. It's true. The dirt can't hurt your feelings. The dirt doesn't get angry. The dirt doesn't argue with you. A man and his tools on a mission. Retrieve history. Yes, it can be competitive & a bit trying at times, but, when all is said and done, it's you in the glorious outdoors at one with the earth. Free. In the zone. Breathing the fresh air. All of life's problems left in the car until after the hunt.

Also, lets face it, growing up SUCKS! Bills, taxes, the deaths of loved ones, yada, yada, yada. But, we get to be kids again whenever we hunt Happy Kinda like sleepovers when we were younger. The excitement. The planning. The restlessness while waiting for the time to come. Especially if you hunt with friends. Who's going? Who's out? What spot we gonna hit? What detectors should we bring? My car or your car? Who's picking up the coffee? Then when you're hunting, all of the joshing, ribbing, breaking balls, one-upsmanship. We get to actually BE Indiana Jones for a few hours! 

Going out and getting skunked sucks. Going through droughts of not finding anything 'good' is pure torture. However, let's be thankful for all of the great times we DO have. For all of those fantastic finds we HAVE made. For all of the friends, acquaintances & characters this hobby has brought us. Yes...

I LOVE detecting Yes

Joe
Agree. Detecting is definitely an escape for me...no thinking about business and money. And I like to detect, or pan, places that involve adventure. Hiking down in some remote canyon, where its just me, the bears, and unfortunately dope growers is what I look forward too.
although im still very new you hit a good point about eacaping I am pretty much a loner anyway so it is a way to escape from the hum drum for me to.
I love detecting for exactly the same reasons and the personal challenge it gives me. What could I find here? And probably like others, I've been to some places where a map and a compass are essential to getting back to the truck. When you're out in that kind of forest, you are totally insulated from society. I sometimes just sit down on a log and look around and see nothing but forest and trees in every direction. And you can't hear cars, planes or trains. Just the wind through the branches of the trees. It's the peace and the solace I get sometimes.

In the middle of a forest, miles from the truck, I find a shotgun brass made before 1926, 6 inches down.

Somebody was there.

So was I.

Ed
I pretty much always pick my own spots, and hunt alone so it has never really been a competition to find things or better items between a group of hunters.
but i do agree, it is amazing how the time can pass when you are in the zone of detecting, your thoughts going wild, recalling the history of your site, the possibilities of the finds, excitement of what that next beep may be, the thrill of the hunt and the ability to play pirate and hunt for lost treasures it sure takes your mind to some far away places. and then the research of history and the things you learn. it is truly a hobby that gives back in so many ways ...

INDIANA - BONES Wink
I love detecting for the History of the places I go, and things I find. Where else can you find and whole history in you hand that you just found.
Good write up Joe Yes

I agree with everyone here as to the reasons we'all pursue this hobby.

The adventure/s over the yrs, the great outdoors, the dirt (something about digging in dirt!), the people you meet, the finds you make, the history lessons = it all adds up to one big life experience of fun, challenge, and list of things learned over those yrs Beer
Fully agree
Agreed it's a great escape for a while, finding history, some pocket change and the wife don't complain to much because she says she would rather me detect than hang out at the bar like a lot of men do.
(11-25-2014 09:50 AM)biggredd1972@yahoo.com Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed it's a great escape for a while, finding history, some pocket change and the wife don't complain to much because she says she would rather me detect than hang out at the bar like a lot of men do.

Hell, with all the crap the bar crowed drops, may not be a bad idea to detect at the bar.
may have to give it a run down to the bar and detect around it ...

i can see it now ... hunny im going to the bar to go detecting ... Think
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's