Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #90 & 91!! FDR Meets WALKER!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I pm'd Wayne (aka: Michigan Relic Hunter) to personally congratulate him on the 44 Walker he found yesterday. Especially in a field that sized with all that stuff and iron hot rocks. He's a detectorist folks! And discuss some other things about the sites I'm hunting. I like his opinions and respect them!!

Well I don't know what happened, but he must've brought me some good luck as well. I got out about 2 pm after completely taking apart our electric dryer, cleaning it, and putting it back together, and testing it. (I think 3 years of not doing it was enough!) Didn't go the silver mine route today because I get bored with doing grass, although it's a lot easier than the trek I took today.

This is a section of woods I've never worked in a park where I've done just about all the other sections of woods and grass. I told myself I was just going to do it because it's closer to home and I only had about 2&1/2 hours, 3 max, to hunt. But it is a literal bear to hunt. It is loaded with big trees but it's in such a location that the saplings grow all over the place, like every square foot. What I had to do was move amongst the saplings to get close enough to the bigger trees and their somewhat more open areas. First good signal was the 52D Rosie, then, about an hour later, pretty near 5 pm, I get this whopper 28, 29, 27 with a blasting high tone. Now I'd been digging can tops all the while, so I don't get too excited about stuff like this. Target it, which with the 11" Pro Coil, bumping around on saplings is a real chore, I squirm my way around to where I can actually dig a plug and pop it. I see silver rim!!!! Brush some of the dirt away and holy crap, it's a Walker!!

I couldn't believe it! I've been to this park a GAZILLION times over the last 5 years and NEVER did that section of woods. Because it was just too difficult to detect!

So all you newbies out there!! DON'T EVER think there isn't anything there. There is nothing there, until you go find it!!!!

Have FUN out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

Ed/ODF
LoL

Thanks Ed and congrats!

Looks like the classic worn/dateless 1917 that was used to death from way back when but - heck = who knows!?

A big silver is a big silver no matter Yes

Beer
Congratulations Ed! Your efforts paid off! Hope you had your safety glasses on. I agree. You don't know until you search it multiple times. Thanks for sharing, GL, HH!
(11-29-2015 07:48 PM)MichiganRelicHunter Wrote: [ -> ]LoL

Thanks Ed and congrats!

Looks like the classic worn/dateless 1917 that was used to death from way back when but - heck = who knows!?

A big silver is a big silver no matter Yes

Beer

Thanks Wayne!! It's got what looks like a 7 on it, the rest is all conjecture!! LoL

Ed

(11-29-2015 07:53 PM)updownup Wrote: [ -> ]Congratulations Ed! Your efforts paid off! Hope you had your safety glasses on. I agree. You don't know until you search it multiple times. Thanks for sharing, GL, HH!

Thanks Up! Just regular glasses but I'm real careful moving about the branches. Almost got poked a couple of times so I'm pretty wary of it!

Ed
Nice coins ed. I wasn't detecting certain areas at first for the same reason and I got out there and was finding some good stuff. Keep up the streak!
Ed, that's CRAZY!!! You do VERY good on halves. Gonna start calling you "Half Pint"!!! Tongue

Gotta tell you, really love the photo of the half protruding out of the soil Yes

Joe
(11-29-2015 09:16 PM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]Ed, that's CRAZY!!! You do VERY good on halves. Gonna start calling you "Half Pint"!!! Tongue

Gotta tell you, really love the photo of the half protruding out of the soil Yes

Joe

Thanks Joe!! I am already the half pint because of my stature. Chuckle But if you look real close at the reverse (the Eagle side), I scraped the reeded edge with my Hori, Hori. No It was a real bitch to target! I've had so many coins like that with the edge or the coin partially showing in the side of the hole, but I never take pics! Today I did. I think from now on I will, when I can. The overcast darkness was pushing me today. Dig and search, dig and search. You know the routine! Can't waste time!

But!!!!! I have to start digging bigger plugs. That one you see there is only about 6" in diameter.

Ed
Nice saves! I got a Barber half recently out of one of those overgrown sections of a park that had recently-ish all the brush cleared out. I admire your patience in trying to work the 11" coil in that type of stuff, it's work!
(11-29-2015 10:17 PM)Nick A Wrote: [ -> ]Nice saves! I got a Barber half recently out of one of those overgrown sections of a park that had recently-ish all the brush cleared out. I admire your patience in trying to work the 11" coil in that type of stuff, it's work!

Thanks Nick! It's a real task. But in the detecting game you gotta do what you gotta do. I may take the 8X6 SEF in there as I've got about another 50 yards to go! BTW, I was on 24 sense, auto, gain 8, deep on, ferrous, & normal response, 10 vol, 10 var otherwise. Leaves in some areas were pretty thick, 6 inches minimum. Reason why I bumped up the sense to 24. I was on grass over at my "silver mine" spot with sense auto on 16 and getting Mercs at 6", all other settings the same as today!! So I am working my way up the sense ladder!! Wink

Ed
Damn!! Nice save Ed!!

Congrats on your Silver Roll!! I hope the weather cooperates and lets you hunt all winter!! We can always HOPE !!
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's