Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Question for etrac users
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have had my etrac for 1 season now and after using it on stock coin mode for a short time went straight to an open screen. I use only 2 programs, an open screen muti tone conductive and an open screen ttf for heavy iron. I run auto+3 most of the time which runs in the low 20's(21-24) in my soil. I have a phobia about missing targets if I run discrimination. My question is am I potentially missing good targets by never using discrimination? I'm i not getting the most out of the machine by just running open screens in all situations? Any input is appreciated.

Mark
Actually when you run ttf with an open screen and dig just the high tones you can be missing deep targets. Lot's of deep coins can have a FE number all the way down to around 24.  TTF stops a line 17. (high tone)

Also you can be missing good targets trying to listen for good tones with an open screen multi CO.  Lots of iron can sound like coins.  Try discriminating out 25 FE and down with open screen multi.  You won't miss anything.  The etrac likes some iron disc.  Give it a try and just see?????

Try running manual power at least equal to your auto sens.  More if your site and mind can take it....
Thanks khouse I will give it a try. How much more depth can I expect to get running it in manual? I don't mind the extra noise but only if it is worth it! Running the open screen I do feel like I'm looking at the screen to much when in iron to check numbers so the iron disc u suggest should allow me to quit looking at the numbers so much and hunt more by sound. Thanks again
(11-30-2015 06:56 PM)Akronzig Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks khouse I will give it a try. How much more depth can I expect to get running it in manual? I don't mind the extra noise but only if it is worth it! Running the open screen I do feel like I'm looking at the screen to much when in iron to check numbers so the iron disc u suggest should allow me to quit looking at the numbers so much and hunt more by sound. Thanks again
I have re hunted sites that I hit in auto using high manual power.  You will easily hit 1 to 2 more inches.  But you will also be fooled more on deep rusty nails.... This is simply a by product of power.......

You can watch this whole video but pay special attention at 23:48.  There you will see a super tight Silver pattern.  At the end I open the screen and you will hear the iron which sounds like a coin.  Then I go back to my disc pattern and the iron is quiet.  This discrimination setting still let the silver come through and made me dig.  I may had missed this coin running an open screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTM_KbVb...w3evdhhx4o
According to Andys book some form of discrimination is necessary.  Also I've hunted with lots of guys running their tracs in auto that don't even hear a whisper of the coins I can hear in manual.  Ive had my best success running Andys coin program in the highest manual sens the site and my ears can handle.
(12-02-2015 09:12 PM)Firedigger109 Wrote: [ -> ]According to Andys book some form of discrimination is necessary.  Also I've hunted with lots of guys running their tracs in auto that don't even hear a whisper of the coins I can hear in manual.  Ive had my best success running Andys coin program in the highest manual sens the site and my ears can handle.
There ya go. The etrac has no problems with discrimination.
Now you guys got me wondering about this with my SE Pro! I think I might try this approach as I NEVER have run the thing on manual sense. But it's an iron jungle up here! I'll let you know if the noise doesn't drive me crazy first!

Ed/ODF

UPDATE: Okay I tried this manual sense but found I had to turn the sense down to 16 and some 18 but I methodically went back over about half the area I found those 2 Rosies and the 35 Washington the other day. Surprisingly enough I found about .87 cents in change and one 55D wheat. That's 2 clad quarters, three dimes and 7 high relief memorials, none of which were over 1967. I covered that ground pretty intensely the first time so I can see where running in manual has it's advantages. It's noisy as all get out though, especially beer bottle caps, which were all over the place. I dug every high tone with a conductive of 24 or over. IM at 16! Or about half the screen on the SE Pro. 6x8 coil.

Ed/ODF
(12-22-2015 01:27 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Now you guys got me wondering about this with my SE Pro! I think I might try this approach as I NEVER have run the thing on manual sense. But it's an iron jungle up here! I'll let you know if the noise doesn't drive me crazy first!

Ed/ODF

UPDATE: Okay I tried this manual sense but found I had to turn the sense down to 16 and some 18 but I methodically went back over about half the area I found those 2 Rosies and the 35 Washington the other day. Surprisingly enough I found about .87 cents in change and one 55D wheat. That's 2 clad quarters, three dimes and 7 high relief memorials, none of which were over 1967. I covered that ground pretty intensely the first time so I can see where running in manual has it's advantages. It's noisy as all get out though, especially beer bottle caps, which were all over the place. I dug every high tone with a conductive of 24 or over. IM at 16! Or about half the screen on the SE Pro. 6x8 coil.

Ed/ODF
Nice test.  Plus enough for a soda pop!
(11-30-2015 07:11 PM)khouse Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2015 06:56 PM)Akronzig Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks khouse I will give it a try. How much more depth can I expect to get running it in manual? I don't mind the extra noise but only if it is worth it! Running the open screen I do feel like I'm looking at the screen to much when in iron to check numbers so the iron disc u suggest should allow me to quit looking at the numbers so much and hunt more by sound. Thanks again
I have re hunted sites that I hit in auto using high manual power.  You will easily hit 1 to 2 more inches.  But you will also be fooled more on deep rusty nails.... This is simply a by product of power.......

You can watch this whole video but pay special attention at 23:48.  There you will see a super tight Silver pattern.  At the end I open the screen and you will hear the iron which sounds like a coin.  Then I go back to my disc pattern and the iron is quiet.  This discrimination setting still let the silver come through and made me dig.  I may had missed this coin running an open screen.

How do I find this tight silver pattern. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Had an Explorer for a while, but the Etrac, not that long. I liked how steady the conductive numbers were. I was used to the ttf on the Explorer and now using on the Etrac.............
(03-25-2016 08:51 PM)cookie58 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2015 07:11 PM)khouse Wrote: [ -> ]

How do I find this tight silver pattern. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. Had an Explorer for a while, but the Etrac, not that long. I liked how steady the conductive numbers were. I was used to the ttf on the Explorer and now using on the Etrac.............

Watch both vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9lD8YBXGs
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's