Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Mineralization Affects Us All
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Even our soldiers. It's one thing to deal with the bad mineralization when we're looking for coins, relics or a piece of gold, but imagine dealing with it when lives are on the line.

I find it extremely interesting how the armed forces are now training our troops in battling mineralization, when using a detector. Some of the apparatus they mention sounds pretty amazing.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense.../76380162/

Joe
Wow now that the goverment is working on this issue maybe some new toys will come out soon.
(12-02-2015 03:30 PM)Bigtony Wrote: [ -> ]Wow now that the goverment is working on this issue maybe some new toys will come out soon.

That's what I was thinking Wink

Wonder what that thing they call a "Squawk Box" does? Maybe purposely interferes with their detectors, in order to train them on hearing the signals through the noise?

Isn't it amazing that they couldn't find a piece of ordinance ONE INCH under the soil, due to the mineralization? Imagine how many coins & relics us hobbyists miss because of the same issue.

Joe
Yeah, I hear you - that is crazy.

They need a bigger WOT coil for sure! Ha Ha ha
Interesting article! That's why I say the sensitivity setting is pretty important when dealing with mineralization and hot rocks. I wonder how they are getting around it though? Probably with software that can learn mineralization and threshold it out. Turn it on and go is all I know so that's all conjecture. But I also envision "sniffers" of a sort as part of their arsenal someday too. Maybe one day it'll be in one grab and go package for us!!!! We can dream, can't we!!

Ed/ODF
(12-02-2015 06:41 PM)Ohio Dirt Fisher Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting article! That's why I say the sensitivity setting is pretty important when dealing with mineralization and hot rocks. I wonder how they are getting around it though? Probably with software that can learn mineralization and threshold it out. Turn it on and go is all I know so that's all conjecture. But I also envision "sniffers" of a sort as part of their arsenal someday too. Maybe one day it'll be in one grab and go package for us!!!! We can dream, can't we!!

Ed/ODF

For all of the bitching & complaining we do about losing depth and targets due to mineralized soil, they're simply things we're missing out on. Now, imagine some soldier out in the blazing hot desert of Iraq or someplace similar, dressed in heavy layers of combat gear, swinging a huge, heavy detector in a potential minefield. And his unit cannot pick up a mine that's an INCH OR TWO under the soil! It's an issue of life and death. And you can bet your bottom dollar they'll solve it, sooner or later, as there will be a LOT of money to be made via the solution, in the private sectors. It will be very interesting to see what they come up with, as eventually, the solution will trickle down to us hobbyists.

Joe
I have to say thanks for this article and discussion.
Yesterday I decided to try some "Bad Ground".
I used my EXP II with the 15 inch WOT coil. Signals were bad but I feel the WOT won over and assisted me in finding s coins that were missed by me and others.
On the one inch down subject in very bad soil. I found a 1960 memorial cent, now that is just crazy because I know I have been over this area well. I also got a 1966 quarter about three inches down and two quarters stuck together and standing straight up - they were about five inches down.
I also dug some 00 31 signals - these should be iron or some type of junk - I might post that photo later. But I did get one quarter and one memorial cent digging those numbers.

So - yeah - we are missing stuff due to bad ground according to my test so far
Reference URL's