Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: #96 > 98!! Bad news!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, you know the grass is always greener on the other side of the street. My big "Silver Mine" secret will now be told!

Today I got tired of holding a laser transit stick and gave it to one of the guys holding himself up with a shovel and left for the "Silver Mine"!!!! I got there at 11:30 am and started doing the rough along the 6th fairway. Got the 36 Washington in the first 20 minutes, then the 51 D Rosie about 15 minutes later! Then suddenly, out of nowhere, some guy shows up on a Gator and asks me what I'm doing? I explain to him that Larry, the owner's son, gave me permission to hunt the course in the rough and wooded areas. He said, "Oh, okay.", and he leaves after we have a brief, but pretty friendly conversation.

15 minutes later, the phone rings! I think it might be the guys over at my fields hit an electric line or something. No, it's Larry!!! Turns out the guy in the Gator is the "Greenskeeper", and gave Larry "what for" letting a metal detectorist onto the course, possibly setting a precedent which may get out of control. So I told Larry it was okay, (he can't afford to lose this guy, he's that good), and detected my way back to the truck. So the "Silver Mine" is closed!!!! Crying

No matter. In five days of hunting there, I got 15 silver coins. 13 in November and 2 in December. Yes

So I landed in another area of woods a little later after some lunch and popped a 64 D Rosie! Just to show myself it's still out there!

I have 2 more golf course permissions lined up but they are a distance away from where I live and I'm going to take this kind of information back to the owners and query them on what's what. Although both of them are nowhere near as old as this one was. I hope I can continue, but at this pace now it'll probably be Spring 2016 before I get to those.

Have FUN out there and HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Ed/ODF
Aww man. Too bad about losing such a great spot. An old golf course has to be loaded with silver. Nice digs. 100 is so close.
Congrats on the silver!!

Bummer on the Silver Mine Shutdown!!
Nice haul Ed Yes
$hit, does it really matter, you took every last goddam drop of silver outta the place, anyways!!! Leave something for the other hunters in OH! Tongue Chuckle

Ed, that's a downer, for sure, but I don't feel sorry for you, lol. You are having a VERY good year, and you should be damn proud. I know everyone has a different yardstick to gauge their silver finds, depending on location, equipment used, etc., but as I've often said, around here 100 silver per year is about the norm, and we consider it a strong showing.

Have a beer, bitch about losing the spot for a few minutes, and then get back out there to dig Yes

Joe
Sad that the silver mine is closed, did you put up a warning that the mine is shut down and no one should enter? Ha ha

Congratulations!
Great finds ed,,great numbers on those silvers,,question is it relatively easy to get permission on the roughs and woods,,i live a stone throws away from a very old course, and always wondered if they would let me detect the woods..never thought about the roughs
(12-04-2015 05:00 PM)scott demont Wrote: [ -> ]Great finds ed,,great numbers on those silvers,,question is it relatively easy to get permission on the roughs and woods,,i live a stone throws away from a very old course, and always wondered if they would let me detect the woods..never thought about the roughs

Thanks Scott. I hit one that is near where I work, another nearer to home and then one way out, near a detecting spot I rarely go too, (because it's 2000 acres of woods in another county). I asked to see the manager and in all three cases got the owner right there and then. I introduced myself as the Facilities Manager for the Soccer Club I run, with business card, BS'd about that for a while and then asked, using a positive sentence structure, "I was wondering if you would allow me to metal detect the rough and woods areas only, using just a hand trowel?". Then awaited the response and went from there. Luckily I got three positive responses. Although 2 of them asked if I'd be able to retrieve any golf balls I'd find and return them to the clubhouse. Both of those clubs had driving ranges as well. Saves them time and money and I haven't golfed in thirty years, so I don't need them. All I can say is try it. If you don't ask, you don't know. Yes

Ed/ODF
Grats on #98 ed! Sorry to hear about the secret spot...hopefully the other 2 spots will turn up some silver when your able to make it there!
(12-04-2015 11:50 AM)NjNyDigger Wrote: [ -> ]$hit, does it really matter, you took every last goddam drop of silver outta the place, anyways!!! Leave something for the other hunters in OH! Tongue Chuckle

Ed, that's a downer, for sure, but I don't feel sorry for you, lol. You are having a VERY good year, and you should be damn proud. I know everyone has a different yardstick to gauge their silver finds, depending on location, equipment used, etc., but as I've often said, around here 100 silver per year is about the norm, and we consider it a strong showing.

Have a beer, bitch about losing the spot for a few minutes, and then get back out there to dig Yes

Joe

I did just that Joe!

Actually it motivated me to be a little more careful out there in the woods! But in reality, the place is a Silver Mine!! I only did about 2 &1/2 rough areas along nine fairways. I told Larry that if he ever sells the place to a housing development contractor, to call me next! I'll rent an RV and FLIPPING CAMP THERE!!!! Wink

Ed
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's