Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Bullet or?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok so I'm not sure if this is a mini ball or w.e they are called. It's weighs a little more than the quarter.
What kind of reading on your detector in air as compared to the quarter?
Appears to maybe a chunk of oxidized leaverite.
It's at my house atm so I'm not exactly sure. I believe it read up as high 70s low 80. Maybe in the 50s. But I'm pretty sure it was high 70s low 80s
I'm not even sure that's lead. Old lead gets a white coating to it. New lead is silvery colored. You could scratch your piece with something, or even rub it on paper to see if it makes a mark. If the underlying surface is silvery, it's probably junk lead, though could be a mangled small musket ball. 

To me a Minie ball (also called a "three ringer" for the characteristic three rings) is a very specific type of bullet, like the one on the bottom in this picture. The one on the top I would call a musket ball or a round ball. As you can see, the Minie is a much larger piece of lead, about 1" long and .5 in diameter.

Musket balls come in all sizes, not just as large as the one at the top of the picture. There are also larger caliber Minies that are the diameter of a dime.

Hope that helps?
More than likely some junk lead . Some lead with get that brownish color on it. Could have been a small round ball at one time but hard to tell.
Lead does come out of the hole with a whitish crusting as Nick says. Blue if it's been in a stream or water for a while. Hard to say about that one.

Ed/ODF
Looks like small round ball or junk lead to me, perhaps a round ball reject tossed into the fire. I am guessing it reads in the 50's. If it does in fact give a signal in the upper 70's or 80, then I would be stumped.
Could that be a pistol shot?
Reference URL's