Treasure Classifieds Forum

Full Version: Here are the junk items that I dug yesterday when the signal said iron
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, I said I would post these and here they are. I was attempting to dig junk signals that are close to silver on my EXP II - these all registered at 00 31 but didn't sound like high pitched iron so I dug. I did managed to get two coins with that signal but they are not shown. One was a clad quarter and one was a memorial.
That happens to me too Tony. I get a lot of junk that has those signals and a near high tone. But it's the story of the detectorist. You just have to dig it. I dug up a splitting wedge today, about an 6 pounder. Didn't take any pics and didn't take it out either. I kinda thought it would be an axe head. No such luck.

Ed/ODF
Not sure what you machine is but that shocking that coins and a shower head come up that low on the vdi ,, makes me think!!! thanks for sharing this info
Experimenting is good. I normally dig at least few signals on each hunt purely out of curiosity purposes. For shits & giggles. But it serves to strengthen our tonal vocabulary, and gives us a reference for future targets.

One day, there won't be junk in the hole, but instead, a nice old coin or relic. Then you'll have one of those "AHA" moments Wink

Joe
Ed\odf, that wood split edge might be worth a few bucks as a relic - next time you go there take it out and see if ebay has them for sale. I would think folks like that old stuff, like ax heads.

Scott, I am using a Minelab Explorer 2 with a WOT coil or small six inch minelab coil.
A quarter VDI is 00 29 and silver 00 30. So any I am trying to understand how coins might slip into higher or lower numbers but not to far off. 1 29 or 3 30 - are coins but not hitting exactly. These targets came in at 00 31 - not far off the correct area.
Folks talk about how minerals and ground conditions will make the machine not hit the correct numbers. Just having fun out there because I am not traveling to better sites right now due to time and family constraints.

Joe, it does make me better understand my machine and different soils. Your article about the military and minerals in the soil got me started and the best place to try is hunted out and or bad park soils. It keeps me interested in the hobby and in the long run, I just might get a good coin hiding near this trash.

Oh one last note - the scrap man will be happy too.......
Reference URL's